- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
Forester Micro-Mentorship Program
A unique opportunity to engage Foresters through the intersection of mentoring and micro-internships
Students and recent graduates can help your organization through micro-mentorships by providing support for professional tasks much like traditional interns, but without the commitment of a semester-long experience. They are also a low-risk way for your organization to get exposure to a diverse pool of potential hires.
The Forester Micro-Mentorship Program is designed for you to provide both mentorship, sharing insight regarding your profession and job search advice, as well as a virtual/remote micro-internship project (approximately 20% mentorship and 80% micro-internship experience).
These micro-mentorships typically range from 20 to 50 hours for a duration of two to six weeks. Unlike traditional internships, micro-mentorships will be funded by generous donors to the College, who annually support internship funding. Upon successful project completion, students will receive stipends of $300 for 20-30 hours and $500 for 40-50 hours. Stipends will be based on the estimated hours of the project that is provided in the job description.
A limited number of micro-mentorships are available for each term that they are offered.
Sample micro-mentorship projects:
- Creating a social media calendar for your organization
- Cleaning and organizing data
- Conducting a SWOT or other analysis on your organization’s products or services
- Generating sales leads
- Researching new processes or software to support your operations
- Assisting with grant writing and scientific writing projects
- Collecting survey or qualitative data and organizing datasets for analyses
- Provide research support in developing curatorial projects or exhibitions
- Contributing to fundraising efforts that include event planning, social media posting, and donor prospect research
Micro-mentorships are an opportunity to help a Forester.
As a micro-mentor you will:
- Interview candidates and select individuals that are the best fit for the project-based work and mentorship.
- Engage students as they assist with a project, giving meaningful feedback, and development as a professional.
- Allow students to tap into your existing knowledge of industry experience as they progress in their career search.
Micro-mentorships are beneficial for both students and your organization.
Micro-mentorships will provide your organization with:
- A completed short-term project or ‘deliverable’
- An opportunity to mentor, lead, motivate, and teach students about careers as well as the internship and job search process
- Generated interest in a particular industry among future generations of employees
- The development of a potential pipeline of candidates from qualified applicants
- Marketing and name recognition in the community as well as at Lake Forest College
- An opportunity to collect new perspectives and ideas from students regarding processes, organizational branding, technology, new trends, and more
Micro-mentorships help students:
- Gain skills and experience that will be helpful for entry-level positions
- Explore career paths and get exposure to organizations and industries
- Develop their network
- Participate in an internship they otherwise may not have been able to due to course schedules, prohibitive costs, housing, and other factors
Interested in the Micro-Mentorship Program?
Read more on our Program Details page.
Micro-mentorships will be reviewed for approval based on project content, applicability to student skillsets, mentorship capacity, and funding availability.