Lake Forest College students who secure an internship may apply to receive academic credit after consulting with their academic advisor, faculty internship supervisor, Office of Intercultural Relations (international students), and/or the Center for Chicago Programs (In the Loop program participants). Below are some of our general guidelines and responsibilities for employers who are supervising a student completing an internship for credit. Employers should also review the complete Academic Internship Program Guidelines for students and supervisors.
Academic Internship Program Guidelines:
- Internship proposals must be approved by the student’s academic advisor, the Internship Supervisor, and the Associate Vice President for Career and Professional Development/Director of Internships.
- Internships must meet the guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Labor (Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act). It is also helpful to review the NACE (National Association of Colleges and Employers) position statement on U.S. Internships
- For each credit, approximately 150 hours of on-the-job experience will be required.
- Internships must apply or expand skills or knowledge learned at Lake Forest College.
- Typically, only juniors and seniors may earn academic credit for internships.
- There is a clear on-site supervisor and supervision for students is provided on a regular basis. On-site supervisors will submit an on-line mid-term and final evaluation and work with the student’s internship supervisor during the term of the academic internship. The internship is located in a commercial setting and not in a private residence or home office.
- The internship does not require students to make investments, initial cash deposits, or purchase starter kits.
- Continuation of part-time or summer jobs may not serve as internships.
- The internship does not involve students purchasing inventory or product for resale.
- The internship is not paid strictly on commission.
- The internship does not require the student to recruit other Lake Forest College students and peers for positions within the organization.