The program’s mission is to provide students with an outstanding education in psychology by helping them:
- develop a strong knowledge base in psychology
- strengthen their scientific inquiry and critical thinking skills
- learn to behave ethically and responsibly in a diverse world
- improve their communication skills
- use their psychological knowledge and skills to excel in college and prepare for life after graduation.
The expected Student Learning Outcomes for the Psychology Department are:
- The psychology major will be able to demonstrate familiarity with concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and historical trends across the major sub-disciplines of psychology.
- The psychology major will demonstrate competence in the basic empirical methods used in the discipline including research design, analysis, and interpretation of research.
- The psychology major will demonstrate familiarity with the biological underpinnings of behavior.
- The psychology major will demonstrate familiarity with the social underpinnings of behavior.