COVID-19 precautions and policies are in place to ensure the health and safety of our campus community. Information can be found on our main COVID-19 page

Employment and Internships

Immigration regulations limit employment eligibility for J-1 students.

J-1 visa regulations require you to have sufficient financial means without needing to work. You should verify with a Responsible Official (RO) at ISEP (your visa sponsor) that you have appropriate authorization before engaging in any form of employment or internship, whether the internship is paid or unpaid.

Unauthorized employment is a serious violation of your immigration status. Review the information below which outlines authorized employment options for J-1 students.

While on-campus employment is not available, students may elect to apply to participate in an internship through the Lake Forest College In the Loop program or pursue employment after their term at Lake Forest. Students participating in the Loop program should work with their Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor in the Career Advancement Center Center to find an internship appropriate to their area of study as listed on their DS-2019.

Either of these options requires Academic Training for J-1 students.  To pursue this, you will need your job or internship offer in-hand before following this process:

  1. Complete the ISEP J-1 Academic Training Request Form, and its required attachments and payments, at least 3 weeks prior to the start date of your employment OR the end date on your DS-2019, whichever is sooner.
    • Reach out to ISEP for the Academic Training Form.
  2. Send Alexandra Olson a short statement regarding your personal goals and objectives for this internship, and how it relates to your field of study.

Students must wait for official authorization from ISEP to begin their internship or employment.