Find these resources and more on Handshake.
Best All-Around Resources
Handshake is your #1 way to find internships and jobs and connect with employers seeking to hire Lake Forest College students. Create your Handshake profile, explore career planning guides, register for events, and get noticed by recruiters. You can filter and search through job roles based on your interests and discover new career possibilities.
Focus 2 guides students through a career and education decision making model to help you select majors at Lake Forest College, make informed career decisions, and take action. New users can click here to create an account (use access code “forester”) and existing users should click here to login.
Vault Campus has over 100 titles of award-winning career guides, job-search tips, and full-length profiles of leading companies, all available to Lake Forest students through a special subscription.
Looking for an international job or internship? Going Global is the place for information on international employers and employers sponsoring H1B visas. Are you off campus or having trouble logging in? Log in to Handshake and visit the GoinGlobal resource.
Career Exploration Resources
Learn about yourself and your career/academic options.
- Focus 2: An online career, major, and education planning system. New users can click here to create an account (use access code “forester”) and existing users should click here to login.
- What Can I Do With This Major?: This website will help you connect majors to careers. Learn about typical career areas and types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
- O*Net: Browse detailed descriptions of various career fields and plan your next move.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH): Learn detailed information such as educational qualifications, job outlook, and salary range for a career field of interest.
Resume and Cover Letter Resources
Our team of career advisors can help you make sure your resume and cover letter stands out.
Check out our Resume and Cover Letter Resources, which include Starting Your First Resume, Resume Action Verbs List, Common Resume Mistakes, How to Put Together a Great Cover Letter and more!
Networking and Job Search Resources
Whether you’re looking for an internship or job, these resources can help.
- Your guide to networking - learn how to build and use your network
- How to Create Your Unique Job Search Plan
- Search for REMOTE internship and full-time opportunities:
- Use LinkedIn as a tool for networking and for searching for jobs and internships:
- Search for internship and full-time job opportunities on Handshake, Lake Forest College’s online career portal and job board.
- Find part-time. paid positions in QuadJobs, a great resource for Lake Forest students looking for part-time jobs near campus.
Interview Tips and Tricks
Use your skills and experience to get the job.
- Strategies to Nailing the VIRTUAL Interview
- Interview Preparation
- Common Interview Questions
- What NOT to do when interviewing
Career Preparation Guides
Log in to Handshake to download these guides and more:
- Developing Your Professional Introduction
- Conducting an Informational Interview
- Building a Resume
- Building Your Network
- Identifying and Researching Companies and Organizations
Navigating Job Offers
Before you accept a job offer, you should gather information about salary averages: