Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS) Dual-Degree Program prerequisite courses
Students planning for RFUMS Dual-Degree programs can either choose Accelerated Matriculation (3 years at Lake Forest College) or Regular Matriculation (4 years at Lake Forest College). For either option, students can apply for Early Decision (end of first-year or sophomore year) or Regular Decision (typically junior year).
If the student is planning for Regular Matriculation, then the student can major in any area offered at the College.
If planning for Accelerated Matriculation, then most Dual-Degree programs can accommodate these two majors: Biology or Neuroscience. Clinical Counseling best accommodates Psychology, Neuroscience, and Sociology and Anthropology. Accelerated Matriculation has a demanding and tight schedule that requires you to know early in your academic career that RFU degree program and academic major is your true desire. However, it will cut your tuition costs!
All students must complete their required pre-requisite coursework by the time the student matriculates into the RFU program and satisfies program-specific admission requirements. Consult these requirements in the specific webpage for each dual-degree program on this Pre-Health website.
Below are the list of pre-requisites for each RFU Dual-Degree program.
Pre-Medicine coursework at Lake Forest College (as of January 2021)
(Adjustments will be made as needed in keeping with this agreement)
BIOL 120: Organismal Biology with Lab
CHEM 115 and 116: Chemistry I & II with Lab
BIOL 221: Molecules, Genes, and Cells with Lab
CHEM 220 and 221: Organic Chemistry I & II with Lab
CHEM 300: Biochemistry with Lab
PHYS 110 and 111: Introductory Physics I & II with Lab
PSYC 110: Intro to Psychological Science
SOAN 110: Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology (take in first two years, or take a different SOAN course later)
MATH 150: Introduction to Probability & Statistics or PSYC 221: Research Methods & Statistics I or ECON 130 Applied Statistics
Two English courses or HPP SHIP courses that are writing-intensive
Recommended courses include:
One additional biology course (200-level or higher in cell/molecular, microbiology, physiology, genetics, or neurobiology)
Spanish or other language
Additional one or more humanities courses
All these courses are 1.00 LFC course credits—including the courses with labs.
Each 1.00 LFC course credits = 6 RFU FRU quarter credits
- Join the Health Professions Program
- Course Recommendations
Dual Degree Programs and Affiliations
- Prerequisite Courses for RFUMS Dual-Degree Program
- DePaul University School of Nursing (4-2 BA-MSN Dual Degree Program)
- Rush University College of Nursing (4-2 BA-MSN Dual Degree Program)
- Rosalind Franklin University College of Pharmacy
- Rosalind Franklin University Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Rosalind Franklin University Doctor of Podiatric Medicine
- Rosalind Franklin University Physician Assistant Program
- Rosalind Franklin University Biomedical Sciences Program
- Rosalind Franklin University Clinical Counseling Program
- Rosalind Franklin University Medical School
- Midwestern University Doctor of Optometry
- How to Find Your Advisor
- Pre-Health Advising Committee
- Preparing for a Career in Pre-Health
- Student Research and Internships
- Success Stories
- Join Future Health Professionals
- Pre-Health Program Sheet