- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/64/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29926_pre_health_header.rev.1450299900.png)"/>
The medical school acceptance rate of Lake Forest graduates is significantly higher than the national average. Graduates of our Pre-Health programs go on to advanced study at top programs including Columbia University, Stanford University, Northwestern University, and the University of California San Diego.
Advising for Pre-Health students is designed for all majors – but students most often come from Biology, Chemistry, Neuroscience, Psychology, Physics, or Mathematics. Pre-Health Advising assists students who are interested in entering programs in the health professions, including medical and dental school, nursing school, pharmacy school, physical therapy training.
Goals of Pre-Health Advising are to:
- advise appropriate course selection and sequence of courses
- aid in assessing student’s progress toward professional school goals
- provide information about professional school requirements and admission criteria
- assist students in selecting schools and in the application process, including writing a cover or committee letter
- provide information and assistance regarding standardized tests
Lake Forest College has recently partnered with 4Med to provide accredited online training to students for free and at a discounted rate for alumni on topics relating to compliance, government incentives, health IT, health and safety, best communication, and business practices.
Pre-Health Advising and the Career Advancement Center are happy to announce that we will award a Certificate for a 100% Course Scholarship from Kaplan Test Prep to two pre-med students or recent graduates.
by Arsh Shah - Class of 2017
Healthcare spending continues to be a massive expense in our country; one that is proven to be an economic toxin if money is not spent carefully.
Check out what alumni are doing in the health and medical professions
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4><img width="200" height="169" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/200/height/169/2318_mithaq_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image2318 lw_align_left" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/200/height/169/2318_mithaq_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/64/width/200/height/169/2318_mithaq_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg 3x" data-max-w="600" data-max-h="507"/>Mithaq Vahedi ’08 MD<br/> Jefferson Medical College of<br/> Thomas Jefferson University</h4><p><em> “Lake Forest College has provided me with the ideal education on my path to becoming a physician. I was taught how to think independently, and to find answers to the myriad questions I had. The excellence of professors at Lake Forest College is manifested by their wholehearted dedication to teaching and their love for research. I am grateful to my professors who were always available to answer my questions and guide me. Students, take full advantage of the exemplary learning environment at Lake Forest College!”</em></p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4> Arun Paul ’05 MD, PhD <img width="200" height="267" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/200/height/267/2314_arun_paul.rev.1386278777.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image2314 lw_align_left" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/200/height/267/2314_arun_paul.rev.1386278777.jpg 2x" data-max-w="453" data-max-h="604"/><br/> Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science</h4><p> <em>“My undergraduate education and rigorous training in basic science research within a liberal arts context at Lake Forest College taught me the significance of patience, persistence, and pragmatism to survive and succeed in a highly demanding, competitive, and rewarding healthcare professional environment, and how to still maintain a sense of humanism, service, and philanthropy.”</em></p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4> Alexandra Charron ’09 MD <img width="200" height="172" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/200/height/172/2315_charron_alexandra_cropped.rev.1386278777.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image2315 lw_align_right" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/200/height/172/2315_charron_alexandra_cropped.rev.1386278777.jpg 2x" data-max-w="600" data-max-h="514"/><br/> University of Maryland School of Medicine</h4><p> About her volunteer work in Kenya: <em>“My time at Lake Forest College provided a great base to build on my experiences to achieve my goal of going to medical school. Being a small school, it was so easy to get involved in research and extracurriculars. The pre-health advisers were a huge asset, with their extensive knowledge of what would make me a great applicant and their willingness to go above and beyond to help me achieve my goals. I wouldn’t be where I am without the people at Lake Forest College.”</em></p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4> Michael White ’07 <img width="200" height="207" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/200/height/207/2317_michael_white_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image2317 lw_align_right" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/200/height/207/2317_michael_white_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/64/width/200/height/207/2317_michael_white_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg 3x" data-max-w="628" data-max-h="649"/><br/> Neurology Resident at Washington University/Barnes-Jewish Hospital</h4><p> <em>“Lake Forest College laid the foundation for my career in medicine by providing me with endless opportunities to develop and pursue my interests. In addition, Lake Forest College developed my character and gave me an academic foundation in science that I rely on every day in the hospital. Equally important was learning how to think objectively and scientifically, as well as effective dissemination of knowledge.”</em></p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4><strong>Simon Kotlyar ’99 MD, MSC <img width="230" height="163" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/230/height/163/2320_simon_kotlyar2cropped.rev.1386278779.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image2320 lw_align_right" data-max-w="300" data-max-h="212"/></strong><br/> Medical School for International Health</h4><p> About his UN mission in Liberia: <em>“The commitment to each student is what stands out in my memory of the learning environment at Lake Forest College. Knowing the science is the first step, just as important, however, is figuring out how to translate one’s knowledge into practice. The first part demands academic rigor, the second requires guidance and mentorship. I respected this dichotomy as a student at LFC and I strive to impart this standard in my work today.”</em><strong><br/></strong></p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4><br/><img width="266" height="267" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/266/height/267/19160_alex_wenner.rev.1395872089.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image19160 lw_align_right" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/266/height/267/19160_alex_wenner.rev.1395872089.jpg 2x" data-max-w="635" data-max-h="638"/>Alex Wenner ’09 Meharry Medical College</h4><p> Alex on a mission trip in Haiti, ”?<em>Lake Forest College has helped me mature and grow in ways that only a liberal arts college can provide. An all encompassing education is critical in becoming a knowledgable and compassionate health care provider. My experience at Lake Forest College has opened my mind to the needs of many and how I can impact others beneficially</em>.”</p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4> Karina Nikogosian ’07 OD<img width="200" height="194" alt="Karina Nikogosian ‘07 examines the interior of the eye at her optometry externship" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/200/height/194/2471_nikogosian_karina_small.rev.1386278779.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image2471 lw_align_right" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/200/height/194/2471_nikogosian_karina_small.rev.1386278779.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/64/width/200/height/194/2471_nikogosian_karina_small.rev.1386278779.jpg 3x" data-max-w="600" data-max-h="582"/><br/> Illinois College of Optometry</h4><p><em> “The professors at Lake Forest College provided me with a nurturing environment where I was able to grow on a personal and intellectual level. The work ethic I developed at Lake Forest College prepared me for the rigorous curriculum at Illinois College of Optometry.”</em></p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4> Ethan Helm ’07 MD <img width="139" height="200" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/139/height/200/2316_helm_ethan_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image2316 lw_align_left" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/139/height/200/2316_helm_ethan_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/64/width/139/height/200/2316_helm_ethan_cropped.rev.1386278778.jpg 3x" data-max-w="600" data-max-h="868"/><br/> University of Arkansas College of Medicine</h4><p> <em>“Lake Forest College prepared me for medical school by teaching me to think critically. My classes were not designed to ram hundreds of forgettable details down my throat, but instead, to teach me how to obtain and process information. This training has been invaluable to me.”</em><strong><br/></strong></p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4> Alli Chase ’11 <img width="200" height="208" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/200/height/208/8007_alli_chase_cropped.rev.1386278780.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image8007 lw_align_right" data-max-w="377" data-max-h="392"/><br/> Rush University<br/> College of Nursing</h4><p> <em>“If I could sum up Lake Forest College in one word it would be dedication. The dedication to education and to each individual student is unparalleled. Because of the support I had from my professors and advisors I was able to flourish to my absolute potential. Through Pre-Health Advising I was able to land a job at Advocate Condell’s Emergency Room where my love for nursing began. Through Lake Forest College’s affiliations I was accepted into a top 15 nursing program in the nation at Rush University. The tools and skills I learned at Lake Forest College have been essential in this next step in my education.”</em></p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4><img width="266" height="312" alt="" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/266/height/312/19161_allie_urbanik.rev.1395886840.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image19161 lw_align_left" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/266/height/312/19161_allie_urbanik.rev.1395886840.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/64/width/266/height/312/19161_allie_urbanik.rev.1395886840.jpg 3x" data-max-w="1409" data-max-h="1651"/>Allie Urbanik ’13, University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine </h4><p> “<em>Lake Forest College has given me confidence in science coursework and the ability to be an independent learner. These skills have proved to be invaulable in my experiences in veterinary school. The concepts that I’ve learned, and the interpersonal skills that I’ve made at Lake Forest College have given me the ability to be a leader both in and out of the classroom.</em>”</p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><h4> Terese (Beth) Noe ’10<img width="200" height="267" alt=" Terese (Beth) Noe ’10 at UIUC Vet Med Wildlife Medical Clinic with an opossum being treated for a degloving injury" src="/live/image/gid/64/width/200/height/267/2477_noe_beth_copy.rev.1386278779.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image2477 lw_align_left" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/64/width/200/height/267/2477_noe_beth_copy.rev.1386278779.jpg 2x" data-max-w="600" data-max-h="800"/></h4><p class="p1"> Beth combined her majors in Biology in French to complete an internship at the Clinique vétérinaire on the College’s Paris Program.</p><p class="p1"><em>“Lake Forest College helped me to develop leadership skills outside of the classroom, which I believe are important in any professional medical field. Also, I felt comfortable taking classes in completely different departments, which helped me to become a more well-rounded student. I couldn’t have asked for a better undergraduate experience.”</em></p></div>