- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/18/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30156___dsc0029.rev.1453220321.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/18/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/45672_BIOLOGY_LAB_2_HEADER.rev.1531492424.png)"/>
The Biology Department’s mission is to develop students’ scientific reasoning and abilities through immersion in hands on experiences throughout the curriculum in and out of the classroom.
Biology majors don’t just learn facts about living things, they learn how to be scientists. This means they can often be found in the lab, actively engaged in research with faculty.
|Biology at Lake Forest College|
Students have exciting opportunities for internships and research at world-class Chicago institutions like the Field Museum, Chicago Botanic Garden, Shedd Aquarium, and Rosalind Franklin University of Medical Sciences. Biology students are well-trained by hypothesis-driven coursework. While a major or minor in biology is great preparation for postgraduate training in academic research or the health professions, our students also become competitive graduates and professionals in industry and fields like environmental policy, education and museum administration.
|Our students work with cutting-edge instrumentation and techniques not often available to undergraduates. These include techniques such as: PCR (polymerase chain reaction), western blot, molecular imaging, electrophysiology, field data collection, experimental design and data analysis, cell culture, DNA sequence analysis, and fluorescence microscopy.|
|Opportunities for Published Work|
|Students working in research labs have published their research in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Each year, students also publish their work in Lake Forest’s life sciences journal, Eukaryon. The student editorial board for Eukaryon is a great way to become involved in journal publishing by conducting peer reviews, editing submissions, and designing the layout for this award-winning student research journal.|
Students learned from alumni and other industry professionals about career options that have a positive impact on the environment and utilize investigative skills in environmental science, biology, and other related initiatives.
Niam Abeysiriwardena ’20 and Samuel Gascoigne ’20 have been awarded prestigious Goldwater Scholarships, annual awards for outstanding undergraduates interested in careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
- <span class="lw_profiles_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/profiles/2262-yaritza-cambron"><img src="/live/image/gid/187/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/532,503,1384,1355/34874_yaritza_cambron.rev.1480713732.jpg" alt="Yaritza Cambron" title="Yaritza Cambron" class="lw_image" width="242" height="242" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/187/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/532,503,1384,1355/34874_yaritza_cambron.rev.1480713732.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/187/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/532,503,1384,1355/34874_yaritza_cambron.rev.1480713732.jpg 3x" data-max-w="2048" data-max-h="1536"/></a></span></span><div class="quote"><p> “All of the departments at Lake Forest College offer so much help, from building resumes to letters of recommendation.”</p></div><a class="recruit-link" href="/live/profiles/2262-yaritza-cambron">Yaritza Cambron ’15 is now a GI Tech at Northshore University HealthSystem. </a>
- <span class="lw_profiles_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/profiles/2491-jessica-price-06"><img src="/live/image/gid/187/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/0,0,681,960/38162_jp.rev.1500306164.jpg" alt="Jessica Price ’06" title="Jessica Price ’06" class="lw_image" width="242" height="242" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/187/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/0,0,681,960/38162_jp.rev.1500306164.jpg 2x" data-max-w="681" data-max-h="960"/></a></span></span><div class="quote"><p> “Lake Forest College was a place that I could major in both the natural sciences and the humanities.”</p></div><a class="recruit-link" href="/live/profiles/2491-jessica-price-06">Jessica Price ’06 loved her liberal arts education and now works at the Nature Conservancy!</a>
- <span class="lw_profiles_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/profiles/815-"><img src="/live/image/gid/10/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/0,0,1536,2048/29844_indoor_soccer.rev.1449867758.jpg" alt="Michael Peters ’17" title="Michael Peters ’17" class="lw_image" width="242" height="242" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/10/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/0,0,1536,2048/29844_indoor_soccer.rev.1449867758.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/10/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/0,0,1536,2048/29844_indoor_soccer.rev.1449867758.jpg 3x" data-max-w="1536" data-max-h="2048"/></a></span></span><div class="quote"><p> “The relationships that I have built while at Lake Forest College are <em>irreplaceable.</em>”</p></div><a class="recruit-link" href="/live/profiles/815-">Michael is a Midwest Conference All-Academic Athlete and loves spending time on the indoor soccer turf.</a>