Visit the Global Engagement Office if you would like assistance navigating all the program options.
The following study abroad organizations have been approved by the College for summer abroad programs. Programs not on this list must be approved by the Academic Appeals Board in order to earn transfer credit.
- AIFS (American Institute for Foreign Study)
- Program options in Argentina, Austria, Barbados, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, the Galápagos Islands, England, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, and Spain.
- Program Highlight: Comparative Healthcare
- Learn about the origins of global healthcare, compare how countries are managing current challenges and gain insight into how healthcare might look in the future, all while experiencing firsthand the sights, sounds and splendors of London, Barcelona, and Florence.
- Program Highlight: Environmental Science in the Galápagos Islands
- Spend a summer in the biodiverse Galápagos Islands, Ecuador with AIFS! Study environmental science at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ), one of the highest-ranked universities in Ecuador. Begin the program at USFQ’s Cumbayá campus in Quito before flying to the university’s Extension campus on the island of San Cristóbal.
- Program Highlight: Summer in Bridgetown, Barbados
- Earn credit through the University of the West Indies studying the African Diaspora and Indigenous Cultural Expressions of the Caribbean.
- API (Academic Programs International)
- Program options in Argentina, Australia, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czech Republic, England, France, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, and the United Arab Emirates
- Program Highlight: Summer Health and Human Services in Rome
- Be among the lucky students who get to study at the world-famous Rome campus of Universitá Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (UCSC)—the largest private medical school in Italy (and all of Europe)! Enroll in courses in English covering global health and health systems to complement any pre-health degree plan. Learn from renowned faculty-practitioners who specialize in cutting-edge fields such as medical humanities, bioethics, medical anthropology and other interdisciplinary areas.
- Program Highlight: Summer Filmmaking in Auckland, New Zealand
Offered through the prestigious University of Auckland, this unique program is perfect for anyone looking for film studies coursework abroad, and is structured around a practical production process based on professional television industry practice. Expand your understanding of the world of film, experience the warm hospitality of locals ("Kiwis"), and enjoy all that this beautiful country has to offer!
- Arcadia University
- Program options in Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Australia and New Zealand
- Program Highlight: STEM Research Abroad
Explore your own STEM research project while abroad!
- Budapest Semesters in Math
- Experience Budapest Semesters in Mathematics, the highly acclaimed study-abroad program, for eight weeks of your summer. Live in the historic European city of Budapest, take introductory or upper-division courses from master instructors, and enjoy the excitement of living in a culture known for excellence in mathematics education and research.
- CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange)
- Program options in Argentina, Australia, Botswana, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Ghana, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Morocco, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, and Spain
- Program Highlight: Summer Business + Communications in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam is home to the country’s stock exchange, the Dutch National Bank, and many international companies, making it the perfect place abroad to deepen your knowledge of business and communications.
- Program Highlight: Summer Middle East Studies in Amman, Jordan
- Centrally located, Amman is the ideal place to unravel intriguing Middle Eastern and international issues like Arab-Israeli relations, regional conflicts, politics, international relations, environment, and more. Get a grasp of the region through studying and living in a cosmopolitan city that celebrates history and modern life. Courses are taught in English by CIEE faculty at CIEE Amman and complemented with immersive co-curricular activities designed to increase intercultural understanding.
- CISabroad (Center for International Studies)
- Program options in Argentina, Australia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Ecuador, England, Ireland, Italy, Japan, multi-country, Scotland, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, and Thailand
- Program Highlight: Summer on the Italian Coast
- Study Italian, marine biology, volcanology, international tourism, and sustainability by day, and retreat to the romantic piazzas overlooking the sea by night. The Sant’Anna Institute encourages students to become members of the community during their time abroad. Local shop owners will come to know you as a local, with your discount card that’s valid at a number of stores and restaurants in Sorrento. Participate in a variety of civic engagement and service learning opportunities to get involved in the local community.
- Program Highlight: Summer in London (University of Roehampton)
- Live on in the heart of southwest London for a summer on the lush Harry-Potter-esque campus of the University of Roehampton. Renowned for its Performing Arts and Biological Anthropology departments, the University of Roehampton offers a wide range of classes for students in the liberal arts. Earn credit while discussing a Shakespeare play on a field trip to the Globe Theatre or better understand the effect of the Beatles on British culture by visiting Abbey Road. Relax in the funky vibe of life at Roehampton or spice it up by heading into downtown London.
- Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS)
- FUBiS is an intensive, academic program of Freie Universität Berlin through which students can earn credits that may be counted towards their degrees at their home institutions. FUBiS sessions run for 3 to 6 weeks and take place both in summer and winter.
- IAU (Institute for American Universities)
- Program options in France, Morocco, and Spain
- Program Highlight: The Many Faces of France | Maymester Traveling Seminar
- Join IAU for this multidisciplinary Maymester traveling seminar that will explore various regions of France, researching its history as well as contemporary society and France’s position on the world stage. Students will focus on the cultural foundations that make up the complexities of France as we know it today. The program will run in both French and in English and is suitable for students with all levels of French.
- IES Abroad (The Institute for the International Education of Students)
- Program options in the Netherlands, France, New Zealand, Spain, Germany, Argentina, England, South Africa, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Ecuador, Chile, China, Australia, and Austria
- Program Highlight: Vienna Summer - Psychology
- As the famous psychologist Carl Rogers once said, "This is where all the trouble started!" In Vienna, the birthplace of psychoanalysis and home to Sigmund Freud and numerous other legendary psychologists, you can experience both the history and practice of psychology from a unique vantage point. Explore the richness of this city’s past and present in an academic environment specially designed for the student of Psychology.
- Program Highlight: Freiburg Summer - European Union
Our European Union Program allows you to learn about European politics, economics, business, and international relations in a whole new way. You will build your knowledge about the structure, origins, crises, and challenges of the EU in the classroom. You will experience the EU by visiting European destinations and by interacting with officials and other representatives. You will debate the current agenda of the EU by role-playing the EU politicians during the Model EU.
- ISEP (International Student Exchange Program)
- Program options in Belgium, Costa Rica, England, Japan, Germany, Chile, Hong Kong, Spain, Ghana, Czech Republic, Italy, South Korea, and France
- Program Highlight: Summer in Brussels - Study & Intern
Make your resume stand out with an internship in Brussels, home to NATO and the European Union. You can mix and match classes in business, political science, and international relations with a part-time internship and build your professional network. You'll spend 7 weeks in Brussels living with a Belgian family and gain insights into the life of locals. Did someone say fries, chocolate, and waffles? Belgian cuisine is as mouthwatering as its cities are charming!
- Program Highlight: Summer in Hong Kong
Spend your summer in Hong Kong, a financial and cultural hub, studying business and finance, Mandarin or Cantonese, social sciences, engineering and energy, or Chinese Medicine. Hong Kong offers endless opportunities to enjoy city life but tucked between the ocean and the mountains, it also offers great opportunities to hike or explore Victoria Harbour. Take the ferry to nearby Lamma Island for great beaches, fresh seafood, local markets, and nature trails
- OSAP (Oxford Study Abroad Programme)
- Program Highlight: International Relations Program
- In this program, International Relations is broadly understood to include comparative government, political history, and international business. The lectures, readings, and class discussions will explore various theoretical perspectives, giving insight into the main actors, institutions, and issues facing the world today. Through the organizing concepts of security, identity, and globalization, the course explores a range of critical concepts, including the role of the nation-state, the rise of international integration, the rise of ethnic and religious regionalism, political violence and terrorism, the causes of war, and the environmental future. Students are also encouraged to explore Oxford and learn about the Oxford system of education, to better understand the various ways that universities might be organized.
- Program Highlight: International Relations Program
- SFS (The School for Field Studies)
- Program options in Australia, Bhutan, Cambodia, Chile, Costa Rica, Kenya, Panama, Tanzania, and Turks & Caicos Islands
- Program Highlight: Forests in the Land of the Thunder Dragon (Bhutan)
- Explore the rich culture, biodiversity, and dramatic mountain views of the Bhutanese Himalayas. Spend four weeks surveying forests – which cover more than 70% of the landscape, visiting ancient shrines, and studying issues of conservation and development in one of the most fascinating countries in the world.
- Program Highlight: Marine Megafauna (South Caicos Island)
- Spend your summer studying sharks, turtles, and rays in the waters surrounding the island of South Caicos. In this specialized course, you’ll learn about the ecology and conservation of these and other marine megafauna through in-water field lectures, snorkel or dive sessions, and video tracking exercises.
- SIT (School for International Training)
- Program Options in Argentina, Colombia, Czech Republic, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Italy, Jordan, Kenya, Madagascar, Nepal, Netherlands, Panama, Serbia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda
- Program Highlight: Renewable Energy, Technology, and Resource Economics (Iceland)
- With untapped reserves of enough geothermal and hydroelectric energy, Iceland is the perfect place to learn about renewable energy sources and sustainability. You’ll meet with multiple stakeholders connected with the renewable energy sector for a multifaceted view of the country’s energy policy and learn about the latest renewable energy technologies. You’ll also be immersed in Icelandic culture and language and discover Iceland’s untamed landscape from Akureyri, an energy–progressive city at the base of a fjord.
- Program Highlight: Peace and Conflict Studies in the Lake Victoria Basin (Uganda & Rwanda)
- Uganda and Rwanda offer important case studies on conflict causation, mitigation, and prevention. The war in Uganda ended in 2007, but its political, economic, and social effects are still felt. Survivors and perpetrators of the 1994 Rwandan genocide, which resulted in the deaths of nearly one million people, now live side by side. You’ll visit refugee settlements and genocide memorials and examine reconciliation efforts in each country. You will discover what facilitates and hinders the success of these efforts and consider how these cases can inform an understanding of conflict elsewhere.
- Program Highlight: Traditional Medicine and Healthcare Systems
- In Madagascar, one of the world’s globally recognized “megadiverse” countries, traditional medicine is practiced as an available, accessible, affordable, and effective method of healthcare. With flora and fauna not found anywhere else in the world, the nation’s unrivaled biodiversity plays a distinctive role in its traditional healthcare practices. From your base in the lushly exotic capital city of Antananarivo, you’ll explore traditional and allopathic healthcare, travel to rural areas to learn about ethnobotany, home and folk remedies, and healthcare access, and meet with leading academics, allopathic doctors, and Malagasy students. The Malagasy people are extremely heterogeneous due to their diverse roots in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and Europe. Along the way, gain a deeper understanding of how religious and cultural beliefs affect communities’ approach to healthcare, and journey through world-renowned rainforests and mineral forests in search of rare plants and wildlife.
- Spanish Studies Abroad
- Programs options in Spain, Argentina, and Puerto Rico
- Program Highlight: Practicum in Education – Summer in Seville, Spain
The Practicum in Education offers students with an interest in teaching and Spanish the chance to gain valuable professional experience over the course of a summer in Seville, Spain. Students enrolled in the Practicum work as Teacher’s Assistants in our Center’s “English Immersion Playschool” or Teenschool program for Spanish children aged four to sixteen.
- University of Minnesota Learning Abroad Center
- Program options in Senegal, Argentina, Ecuador, Mexico, France, Ireland, Italy, and Spain
- Program Highlight: Intensive French in Senegal
- Study the French language while you explore Senegal, a fascinating country seen as a bridge between Africa and the West.
- Program Highlight: Study Abroad in Mexico
- Improve your Spanish in small classes with dynamic and attentive teachers. Live with a host family. Immerse yourself in the culture of Mexico. Visit ancient Aztec ruins. Explore the Palacio de Cortes and the murals of Diego Rivera.
- USAC (University Studies Abroad Consortium)
- Program options in Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, South Korea, the Netherlands, Portugal, Scotland, South Africa, Spain, Thailand, and Uruguay
Through Lake Forest College's study abroad partners, students have to opportunity to participate in an international internship, with most programs offering academic credit. Please note: these are unpaid internships and do have a program fee.
Most of the internship programs offer customized internship placements within various fields of interest.
Internships are offered through the following partners:
- CISabroad (numerous locations)
- Global Experiences (numerous locations)
- API (numerous locations)
- FU-BEST Internship (Berlin, Germany)
- Arcadia Abroad (numerous locations)
- Arcadia has some amazing STEM research opportunities for the summer session.
- IES Abroad (numerous locations)
- DIS Abroad (Copenhagen and Stockholm)
- Research opportunities within the fields of Environmental Studies, Neuroscience, and Health Sciences
US-UK Fulbright Commission for Undergraduates Program offers special Summer Institutes for US citizens to come to the UK. These summer programs provide the opportunity for US undergraduates (aged over 18), with at least two years of undergraduate study left to complete, to come to the UK on a three, four, five or six week academic and cultural summer program. Participants in these programs will get the opportunity to experience an exciting academic program at a highly regarded UK University, and have many costs covered. This includes round-trip airfare from the US to the UK, tuition and fees at the host institution, accommodation and meals and in some cases a small daily allowance.
DAAD RISE is a non-credit summer research internship program for undergraduate students in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences. It offers unique opportunities for undergraduate students to work with research groups at universities and top research institutions across Germany for a period of 2 to 3 months during the summer. RISE interns are matched with doctoral students whom they assist and who serve as their mentors. The working language will be English. All scholarship holders receive stipends from the DAAD to help cover living expenses, while partner universities and research institutes provide housing assistance.
International REU is a summer research internship program for undergraduate students in the STEM fields. Programs are often sponsored by American colleges and universities, and funded by the National Science Foundation.
The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program at RWTH Aachen University in Germany fosters research partnerships between qualified undergraduates from the US and research faculty at our university. The program is specifically designed for students who wish to attain hands-on experience in fundamental research at one of the top universities of science and technology worldwide. Research topics are available for students from the biological and physical sciences, business administration, economics, computer science, communication, international relations, psychology, sociology and mathematics.
The Shedd Aquarium hosts a 1-credit course on subtropical marine and terrestrial species and ecosystems. Discover how oceanography and water chemistry affect marine habitats and island environments. Develop identification techniques for fishes, reptiles, plants and invertebrates while gaining knowledge of field research while onboard the R/V Coral Reef II in the Exuma Islands. Required pre-departure courses take place on Saturdays during the latter part of the spring semester, with the field experience happening in May.
You would be charged for one full LFC summer credit plus airfare and a program fee. For more information, please contact Hilary Wind at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to complete the appropriate Lake Forest College registration form to participate in this program. Contact the Global Engagement Office for the appropriate forms.
- Academic Calendar
- Admission Information
- Tuition and Fees
- Financial Aid
- Departments and Programs
- Graduate Programs