- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/63/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29925_politics.rev.1450299876.png)"/>
A Strong Theoretical Base
Every student majoring or minoring in Politics receives broad theoretical and historical training, including a basic exposure to quantitative and qualitative research methods necessary to the study of political science and post-graduate careers in any field. Students on the American track study institutions from the presidency to the courts to mass media—and beyond. Those on the Global track encounter countries and cultures across the globe, and learn how those countries relate to each other.
Prepared for Anything
Politics students take their grounding in American politics, comparative politics, international relations, political theory, and public law to research with faculty and to off-campus opportunities, from part-time work in congressional or law offices to interning in Chicago agencies, like the Chicago Housing Authority.
Opportunities for Political Internships
Students intern for Democratic and Republican candidates running for every kind of office, from city council seats to the House or Senate, or the presidency. And they intern in the offices of Republican and Democratic elected officials at all those levels, too.
- September 13 Professor Zachary Cook joins the Center of Illinois Politics for their inaugural event on discussing the role of personal wealth in state politics. More »
- September 13 Professor of Political Science Zachary Cook discussed the role of personal wealth in state government during a public forum sponsored by the Center for Illinois Politics. More »
- April 22 Chicago Consul General of Canada John Cruickshank visited with Professor Zachary Cook’s Politics 200 class in April, 2019. More »
- <span class="lw_profiles_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/profiles/1199-"><img src="/live/image/gid/25/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/60,0,861,801/31129_1658184_10202732451089835_1629191867_o.rev.1457474171.jpg" alt="Ally Bain" title="Ally Bain" class="lw_image" width="242" height="242" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/25/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/60,0,861,801/31129_1658184_10202732451089835_1629191867_o.rev.1457474171.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/25/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/60,0,861,801/31129_1658184_10202732451089835_1629191867_o.rev.1457474171.jpg 3x" data-max-w="907" data-max-h="1083"/></a></span></span><div class="quote"><p> “The College has some of my all-time favorite professors and I still keep in touch with many of them.”</p></div><a class="recruit-link" href="/live/profiles/1199-">Ally’s professors helped prepare her for Northwestern Law School.</a>
- <span class="lw_profiles_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/profiles/2319-chelsea-mcdonald-16"><img src="/live/image/gid/187/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/0,0,576,500/35162_chelseam_2.rev.1484934858.jpg" alt="Chelsea McDonald ’16" title="Chelsea McDonald ’16" class="lw_image" width="242" height="242" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/187/width/242/height/242/crop/1/src_region/0,0,576,500/35162_chelseam_2.rev.1484934858.jpg 2x" data-max-w="576" data-max-h="500"/></a></span></span><div class="quote"><p> “Every professor is not only passionate about their field, but also about the students in their classrooms.”</p></div><a class="recruit-link" href="/live/profiles/2319-chelsea-mcdonald-16">Chelsea McDonald ’16 is working for a US Senator after completing many internships and research experiences.</a>