- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
First Connection Pre-Orientation Program provides information and support to help incoming students transition to life at Lake Forest College, both in and outside of the classroom.
The program is also designed to enhance the cultural awareness and understanding among its participants by providing meaningful intercultural information and experiences. Thus, students traditionally underrepresented and/or underserved in American higher education, including, but not limited to U.S. ethnic minority students, students who identify as LGBTQ, first-generation college students, and international students are especially urged to attend.
Taking place the week before orientation, this pre-orientation program facilitates the transition to the academic expectations and general culture of the College. Participants will be encouraged to develop a peer support network of staff and fellow students to provide additional support during their first semester here.
First Connection provides support regarding a number of transition issues, including the development of a genuine understanding of the College’s rigorous academic expectations, dealing with cultural adjustment, and gaining familiarity with the College’s various resources.
In short, the objectives of the program are:
- to provide experiences that will support incoming students’ academic and co-curricular transition to the college.
- to create an opportunity for a meaningful intercultural experience for incoming students.
- to allow incoming students to have social networking opportunities with other participating students, faculty, and staff.
- to familiarize incoming students to academic and co-curricular campus resources.