- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47147_adolescent-adult-blur-933964.rev.1538511206.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47150_apple-black-and-white-black-and-white-169573.rev.1538511480.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47160_person-1990906_1920.rev.1538513059.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47157_achievement-agreement-arms-1068523.rev.1538512792.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47159_blackboard-573023_1920.rev.1538512979.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47158_annie-spratt-608002-unsplash.rev.1538512909.jpg)"/>
Panopto Quick Start for Windows
The Panopto app allows faculty to record lectures with computer cameras or webcams, PowerPoint slides, computer demonstrations of the Mac or Windows, and more. This guide walks you through the steps to record class materials and assignments.
On Moodle course pages, the Panopto block contains links to all your course’s videos. The Panopto block is connected to a course folder in Panopto, which has the instructor and students in it. The block is visible to both students and instructors within Moodle. The Panopto block automatically shows links to any videos instructors put in the Panopto course folder, as well as live sessions (webcasts) you may conduct. When instructors add a video to your Panopto folder, instructors and students will see it listed in the block.
- Go to http://www.lakeforest.edu. Click on About in the top navigation. Select Videos from the submenu. The address is http://www.lakeforest.edu/video.
- Click the Sign in button in the upper right corner. A Sign In box with Moodle selected in a dropdown box will appear. Click the red Sign in button.
- This will take you to a page to login to Panopto using Moodle. Enter your Moodle Username and Password. This is the same password you use to login to your College email and to my.lakeforest. Press the Log in button.
- Click on Download Panopto in the upper right corner of the screen below your name.
- Under Download & Record, click on the red Download Panopto button.
- Your browser may ask you whether to run the download or save it. If you choose to run, it will launch the desktop installer automatically. If you choose to save it, navigate to your Downloads folder and double-click on it to start the installation. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
Record a Video
- To record a video, open Panopto and enter your Moodle username and password. This is the same password you use to login to your College email and to my.lakeforest. Press Log in.
Note: If you opened Panopto through Moodle, you will already be logged in and you can skip to step 2.
- The Panopto main window says Create New Recording at the top. Choose the folder where you want to upload your recording. If it is for a course, look for the course number. If you want to create a video that only you can see, choose My Folder.
- Next, give your recording a name. Panopto enters the current date and time for a name. Change this to a title of your choice.
- Select your computer’s camera and microphone in the Video and Audio menus. To make a recording, audio is required, but video is optional. If you don’t want to include the camera in your recording, set Video to None.
- To record PowerPoint slides along with your presentation, check the box for Capture PowerPoint.
- To make a movie of the computer desktop, check the box for Capture Main Screen.
- If you wish to only capture the video and audio from the camera and microphone, uncheck Capture Computer Audio, Capture/Record PowerPoint, and any other option available under the Secondary Sources.
- To capture the computer sound during the recording, (e.g., an audio file or video embedded in a PowerPoint with sound), check Capture Computer Audio.
- When you have all of the settings properly configured, Press the Record button to begin, and give your presentation. During your recording, you can use the Pause and Resume buttons as needed.
- When finished, click on Stop. The screen will say Recording Complete. If you want to redo your recording, choose Delete and record again. If you are satisfied with your recording, choose Done and your video will upload.
Upload Your Video
- After you have recorded your video and you have confirmed that you are done, Panopto will switch to the Manage Recordings window. The upload percentage will display. Depending on the length of your video, it may take a few minutes to complete.
- After the recording uploads, it will take a few minutes to process on the server. The processing progress displays under Status.
- When the processing finishes, the Status will change to Completed. To view the completed video, choose Manage My Recordings. Panopto will open the browser.
- If you are satisfied with your video, you may press Delete Local on the Manage Recordings screen to remove the recording from your local computer and reclaim storage space.