- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47157_achievement-agreement-arms-1068523.rev.1538512792.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47147_adolescent-adult-blur-933964.rev.1538511206.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47159_blackboard-573023_1920.rev.1538512979.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47160_person-1990906_1920.rev.1538513059.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47150_apple-black-and-white-black-and-white-169573.rev.1538511480.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/152/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/47158_annie-spratt-608002-unsplash.rev.1538512909.jpg)"/>
Panopto Quick Start for Mac
The Panopto app allows faculty to record lectures with computer cameras or webcams, PowerPoint slides, computer demonstrations of the Mac or Windows, and more. This guide walks you through the steps to record class materials and assignments.
In This Section:
On Moodle course pages, the Panopto block contains links to all your course’s videos. The Panopto block is connected to a course folder in Panopto, which has the instructor and students in it. The block is visible to both students and instructors within Moodle. The Panopto block automatically shows links to any videos instructors put in the Panopto course folder, as well as live sessions (webcasts) you may conduct. When instructors add a video to your Panopto folder, instructors and students will see it listed in the block.
Download Panopto and Log In
- Go to http://www.lakeforest.edu. Click on About, and select Videos from the menu. The address is http://www.lakeforest.edu/video.
- Click the Sign in button in the upper right corner. A Sign In box with Moodle selected in a dropdown box will appear. Click the red Sign in button.
- This will take you to a page to login to Panopto using Moodle. Enter your Moodle Username and Password. This is the same password you use to login to your College email and to my.lakeforest. Press the Log in button.
- Click on Download Panopto in the upper right corner of the screen below your name.
- Under Download & Record, click on the red Download Panopto button.
- Run the installation file. It will be saved in the Downloads folder.
- Find the file in the folder and open it.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation. At the Welcome screen, click Continue.
- Enter your user name and password in the prompts. Click Install Software.
- Click Close when you see the installation was successful.
Record a Video
- To record a video, open Panopto. Click Sign In.
Note: If you opened Panopto through Moodle, you will already be logged in and you can skip to the Create New Recording part of step 2.
- Enter your Moodle username and password. This is the same password you use to login to your College email and to my.lakeforest. Press Create New Recording.
- Panopto may ask permission to access the camera and microphone. Choose OK for each.
- The Panopto window says Record a Session at the top. Choose the folder where you want to upload your recording. If it is for a course, look for the course number. If you want to create a video that only you can see, choose My Folder.
- Next, give your recording a name. Panopto enters the current date and time for a name. Change this to a title of your choice.
- Select your computer’s camera and microphone in the Video and Audio menus. To make a recording, audio is required, but video is optional. If you don’t want to include the camera in your recording, set Video to None.
- To record PowerPoint slides along with your presentation, check the box for Capture PowerPoint.
- To make a movie of the computer desktop, select Built-in Display in Source at the bottom of the window.
- If you wish to only record with the camera and microphone, uncheck the boxes for Capture Computer Audio and Record PowerPoint. Set the menus in Secondary Sources to None.
- To capture the computer sound during the recording, (e.g., an audio file or video embedded in a PowerPoint with sound), check Capture Computer Audio.
- When you have all of the settings properly configured, Press the Record button to begin, and give your presentation. During your recording, you can use the Pause and Resume buttons as needed.
- When finished, click on Stop. The screen will say Recording Complete. If you want to redo your recording, choose Delete and record again. If you are satisfied with your recording, choose Upload.
Upload Your Video
- After you have recorded your video and you selected Upload, Panopto will switch to the Manage Recordings window. The upload percentage will display. Depending on the length of your video, it may take a few minutes to complete.
- After the recording uploads, it will take a few minutes to process on the server. The processing progress displays under Status.
- When the processing finishes, the Status will change to Completed.
- When it says Uploaded or Completed, your video is finished. To remove the recording from your local computer and to reclaim your storage space, highlight the video, and in Recording Details, click on Delete.
To view your recording in Panopto online, click Manage Online. This will open the College’s Panopto site in a browser window where you can review and edit your recording.