- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
GEGF Eligibility & Guidelines
Through the GEGF, qualified Lake Forest College students may receive opportunities to pursue unique service-learning experiences.
Students are always welcome in the Groner Foundation office, which is located in Stuart Commons next to the office for Off-Campus Study and the Center for Chicago Programs. Come in to learn more about the Foundation, the available programs, and opportunities for service.
- Must be a second-semester freshman or above.
- Must have a minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA for standard programs and a 3.5 cumulative GPA for Bridge Programs
- Must be in good judicial standing and have no history of disciplinary action.
- Must be 18 or older
- Must be willing to commit to local volunteering
Special circumstances related to students’ eligibility can be evaluated at the discretion of the GEGF Director and Trustees.
(The GEGF advises that interested students begin this process 6 weeks prior to the deadline.
- Make an appointment with the GEGF Director by emailing her at GEGFdirector@mx.lakeforest.edu or calling 847-735-6162. The purpose of this meeting is to learn more about the Foundation and to share your interests and career goals.
- Bring a current résumé to your meeting with the Director and be prepared to discuss your past involvement/current interest in community service as well as your educational and career goals.
- Submit your unofficial transcript and an Advisor and Dean Recommendation Form, which you will receive upon meeting with the Director.
- The GEGF Director will notify the applicant when these documents have been received. If the eligibility requirements are met, the Director will supply you with the Application Form. Please wait for notification before beginning Stage II.
- Once you have completed a Grace Elizabeth Groner Foundation Application Form, you will need to submit the following materials.
- Writing Sample from an academic, college-level paper
- Academic recommendation letter
- Character recommendation letter
- The Director will notify you by email once all requirements are met.
- If accepted, the Director will set up a follow-up meeting, during which you will sign paperwork committing to your opportunity.
- If for any reason a student fails to begin or successfully complete a service-learning opportunity, the student will be ineligible for further participation in GEGF sponsored programs.
- To be eligible to apply for additional opportunities, Groner Recipients must follow GEGF guidelines, including those related to reflections and attendance, and receive exemplary recommendations from all previous site supervisors.
- If for any reason a GEGF-sponsored opportunity fails to occur, an alternative opportunity may be considered at the discretion of the GEGF Director.
For new applicants, all requirements from Stage I & II of the application process must be completed before the appropriate deadline to participate in local service-learning opportunities.
Summer and Fall Opportunities: March 1st*
Spring Opportunities: October 1st*
- Recipients will be required to complete weekly summaries, including a photograph, throughout the duration of their program. Summaries and photographs must be e-mailed by 8pm on Sunday evenings to GEGF Director, Jan MacDougal at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recipients will be required to turn in a reflection essay within 3 days of the last day of a semester or summer program.
- Recipients will be required to attend all mandatory GEGF events.