News and Events
Lake Forest College In the News
- March 22 Helen Maurene Cooper celebrated the creativity of Chicago’s nail art community and the release of her new book Paint & Polish: Cultural Economy and Visual Culture from the West Side (Onomatopee, 2017).
- March 15 It looks almost good enough to eat, like an exquisite confectionary at a high-end chocolatier. But this delectable chocolate lily is one of Glenn Adelson’s latest finds on his year-long search for wildflowers.
- March 13 Associate Professor of Anthropology Holly Swyers was quoted at length about the art of being a grown up in Quartz, the online subsidiary of The Atlantic Magazine.
- March 1 Assistant Professor of Anthropology Rebecca Graff will be quoted Wednesday, March 1, on the “Ask Geoffrey” segment of WTTW’s Chicago Tonight.
- February 15 Professor Emeritus of American history Michael H. Ebner reacts to civil rights seminar controversy in a Chicago Tribune Letter to the Editor on February 15.
- February 14 On February 11, Vidya Babu, a junior from Illinois Math and Science Academy, became the First Place winner of the 2017 Chicago Brain Bee that took place at Lake Forest College. She will represent the Chicago region at the USA World Bee on March 17 (2017) in Washington, D.C.
- February 9 The media covered Associate Professor of Anthropology Holly Swyers and her students who led Lake Forest residents in a planning session for the City of Lake Forest Strategic Plan on February 7.
- February 3 France 24, an international TV channel based in Paris, recently interviewed Rob Baade via Skype, about Paris 2024 and the economic impact of hosting the Olympic Games.
- February 1 Students in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program are working with two Waukegan organizations to help revitalize the city’s downtown, the Lake County News-Sun reported.
- December 2 Associate Professor of Anthropology Holly Swyers was interviewed by Maine Public Radio for a piece about teaching adult skills, or “adulting.” Professor Swyers was tapped for her knowledge on adulthood, which she is currently channeling into a book on the subject.
- November 28 New Internationalist cites Professor of Economics Rob Baade as an expert in a recent article on the economics of the Olympic Games.
- November 17 An opinion piece on the results of the U.S. election by Gorter Professor of Islamic World Studies and Professor of Sociology Ahmad Sadri appears on The Guardian U.S. edition, which covers American and international news for an online, global audience.
- November 11 Professor of Economics Robert Baade was tapped as an expert in an article about the World Series’ effect on Chicago’s economy.
- November 7 Shubhik DebBurman, professor of biology and chair of neuroscience, talked about the importance of a liberal arts education, among other subjects, in the November 5 “Sunday Breakfast” in North Shore Weekend.
- November 7 Cubs win, Cubs win—and Associate Professor of Anthropology Holly Swyers, who wrote Wrigley Regulars: Finding Community In The Bleachers, is quoted in a story on Time.com.