- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29863_header_photo_for_student_life-cropped.rev.1450736341.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29627_global_students-cropped.rev.1450736243.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29629_students_at_the_beach-cropped.rev.1450736419.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29877_header-skyline.rev.1450208143.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/33295__dsc0161.rev.1473952666.jpg)"/>
Why did you choose to come to Lake Forest College?
I liked the size of the student body, because I wanted a relatively small college where every person is important and noticed. Mostly, I loved the location - the proximity to Chicago was appealing to me so I could go to concerts, museums and restaurants - anywhere to spend a good time, really. At the same time, I did not necessarily want to live in the hustle of a big city, and preferred a smaller place instead. The lake being so close was a huge bonus as well!
Why did you want to be a First Connection Peer Mentor?
Looking back to my own First Connection experience, I realize how much it has really affected my time in here. I met most of my friends in First Connection, or through them. Now, I would like to offer that same experience to all the incoming students, so that they too could have a great introduction to life at LFC.
What academic advice do you have for our incoming First Connection mentees?
Use the abundant resources that we have available - reference librarians, the Writing Center, QRC, tutors etc. Know that it’s important to get all your work done, but at the same time, so is taking care of yourself. Take breaks by going to the gym, socialize with friends, take your eyes off the screens for a while. It’s easier said than done, but your mind needs breaks as well!
What do you advocate for?
The main one that stands out to me in my day-to-day life is environmental sustainability. I try to avoid unnecessary waste and consume smartly, I recycle whenever I can and try to nudge other people to think about it as well. I could rant about this for hours, but I think it’s really important that every one of us is more conscious of our consumption and habits that affect the world around us negatively.