- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29627_global_students-cropped.rev.1450736243.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29877_header-skyline.rev.1450208143.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29863_header_photo_for_student_life-cropped.rev.1450736341.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29629_students_at_the_beach-cropped.rev.1450736419.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/72/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/33295__dsc0161.rev.1473952666.jpg)"/>
Why did you choose to come to Lake Forest College?
Towards the end of my college application process, I realized that in order to thrive I wanted and needed and a smaller college. So I looked more into Lake Forest College and spoke with friends I had who were already enrolled there. Speaking to them about their experiences in and outside the classroom, their responses reassured me that the College was a good fit for me as it was a community where individual growth was, and is encouraged and supported by faculty and staff throughout.
Why did you want to be a First Connection Peer Mentor?
Having been a participant of the program in my freshman year, I greatly benefited and felt that I was set up to succeed both academically and socially at the College. Thus naturally, when the opportunity to do the same for the other incoming students was availed to me I jumped. Last year was my first experience as a FC Peer Mentor, and I loved it; assisting others but also making so many new friends, it’s truly a one of a kind experience. So yeah, of course I wanted to come back.
What academic advice do you have for our incoming First Connection mentees?
Go to class! Even if you haven’t done the reading or work (which you should of course), just go to class and it’ll make your life much easier. If you ever feel that you’re struggling or that you would benefit from extra assistance/attention don’t be afraid to approach your professors, they are genuinely committed to helping you succeed at and beyond LFC, and if they are unable to help you for whatever reason, they’d be able to connect you to an appropriate resource.
What do you advocate for?
I don’t necessarily advocate for anything in particular, I just genuinely believe in the concept of respect. The importance of valuing people on an equal level regardless of whether you know them or not, regardless of whether you like them or even share similar views, is of the utmost importance to me. I believe that if we were all able to respect one another in this manner, then we wouldn’t have many of, if not all of the problems we suffer from today.