- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
JoAnn Dietz Beck
Where all have you lived? Where do you live now?
I’ve lived mostly in upstate NY, now Rochester, but also Syracuse and my hometown, Hamburg. Right after college I spent a few years in New York City, Miami and Tampa Florida.
About your family:
My former husband, Gil Beck, died this past year. Our son, Robin is 31.
What kind of work did/do you do?
I’m a Landscape Architect, who worked in academic, private and public practice, and most recently as Senior Landscape
How do you spend your leisure time?
I enjoy spending time with family, friends and colleagues, try to keep my old house together, read, walk, and take a trip now and then.
What are your community involvements?
I’m President of the Highland Park Conservancy, Chair of the Olmsted Parks Committee of the Landmark Society of WNY, and volunteer with The Community Design Center, The Genesee Land Trust and the local chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects.
Things you've learned to be true in the last 50 years...
There’s so much for which to be grateful, not least my experience, education and friendships at Lake Forest.
Things you've seen in the last 50 years that were spectacular...
Among many - the Olmsted Parks in Rochester, Buffalo, and NYC and the Genesee River gorge at the end of my block.
Have you had a life changing event?
A few: visiting the Everglades pointed me to landscape architecture as a calling, care-giving for my husband who was disabled by MS and motherhood.
What are you most proud of?
It makes me very happy to see people enjoying the parks and trails that I’ve worked on over the years.
Who you're most looking forward to seeing at the reunion:
Too many to name…