- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
Casey Hartfiel ’17
Why did you choose Lake Forest College?
Originally when I was looking at colleges, I was looking for a good athletic program at a small school and Lake Forest College has exactly that. Two of the things that also stood out to me specifically at Lake Forest College were the easy access to Chicago and ability to double-major. Double-majoring was really important to me because I have varied interests. At Lake Forest College, it’s doable to double-major and graduate in four-years.
As a student, what are some of the things you like best about Lake Forest College?
One of the perks of Lake Forest College is that you can get involved in a lot of different activities and still be successful academically. I found that the more I got involved, the more people I met, so the student body felt like it grew, from my point of view. Eventually, everyone overlapped and the College became even more fun than it already was!
What opportunities have you had at Lake Forest College that will set you apart?
I’m a research assistant for the economics department and I did my own research on the gender gap in art museums. I presented my research in New York City in February at the Issues in Political Economy conference and will present in April in San Francisco at the Western Social Science Association conference. These experiences will help me stand out from other candidates.
Why should prospective students from Minnesota consider Lake Forest College?
Lake Forest College is so close to Chicago, one of the biggest cities in the United States, so the opportunities are endless. You’re able to meet people from all over the United States and the world. Lake Forest is also the perfect location because you’re still in the Midwest and within driving distance from Minnesota, but it feels far enough away from home. One of the perks of being at a smaller school is that you can get involved in a lot of different things. The more you get involved, the bigger the school gets. You create a bunch of different “families” through all the different organizations you’re involved in. Eventually these families overlap and then the College becomes this big, fun place to be at all the time.