- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
Noah Vanderhyde ’20
Why did you choose Lake Forest College?
I had a full-tuition scholarship lined up at University of Michigan and thought that’s where I’d go but first came here for a visit—it was the last place I planned to travel to. When I saw the campus, I was like, “Wow. This is really beautiful.” I met with Dr. DebBurman, because I knew I wanted to be a science major. I went to a lecture and attended a panel with him. I was really impressed with undergrads doing research here, which is something I wouldn’t get at a big state school. I liked the small class sizes here. The deciding factor was one last visit to the University of Michigan, where I sat in on a 650-student chemistry lecture hall. That’s almost half the size of the entire student population at Lake Forest College.
Now that you’re here, what do you like best about Lake Forest College?
I love the academics. I truly love every class I’m in. I also like the homey feel. I was worried that it would be tough to make friends, but that’s not the case. All the people I know at Lake Forest College are like brothers and sisters. We’re really close already, and I’ve only been here a little over six months. My friends here support me and help me strive to become better. I do the same for them.
What opportunities do you hope to pursue at Lake Forest?
I’d like to participate in a research program. Eventually I would love to study abroad or do the In The Loop Program. I also intend to get more involved in students activities, like the Student Programming Board or as a peer mentor for first-year students.
Why should prospective students from Michigan consider Lake Forest College?
I grew up thinking I didn’t want a small school, but I realized this would work best for me. When you’re looking at schools, you have to look at the academics and class sizes. I grew up with classrooms of about 35 students in each class. Some people didn’t do well. How would you fare in a class of 600? At Lake Forest College, most classes have about 18 students. You’ll do a lot better and prepare yourself for the future.