- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
Thomas Quigley ’18
How did you explore your interests and decide on a major?
I came into college with the goal of working in sports management or administration after graduation. After considering the possible majors, I decided on business because I believed that it would give me the best foundation of knowledge of economic functions. From there I would be able to supplement my education with real-world experience through an internship in sports. During my sophomore year, I began exploring local sports teams and organizations that I would be able to intern with that summer. After the application process, the next thing I knew I was working in the Chicago Bandits front office.
What were your responsibilities as an intern?
As an organization part of a league still in its developmental stages, the Bandits were very lean with staffing. Interns performed a majority of the responsibilities that are crucial to the every-day success of the team. I would make/answer phone calls on a daily basis regarding ticket and promotional sales. On game days, I worked in the ticket window facilitating sales for fans in attendance.
What was the most rewarding part of your internship?
The most rewarding part of my internship experience was being able to contribute to the success of a championship organization. I returned back to school before the completion of the season and was able to watch the team I worked for win the league championship a few weeks later.
What did you learn about yourself during your internship?
During my internship, I learned about my ability to adapt to various situations. The best and hardest part about working in such a small organization is that I was asked to do many things that I’d never done before but was given the ability to fail and succeed. This aided in my growth as a student and professional.
What role has your internship played in shaping your career path?
The work I did over the summer has helped me to get more of a focus on what areas I would like to work in. For this upcoming summer, I am open to working in another industry besides sports. However, I think if the right opportunity opened up with the right organization I would definitely jump at the opportunity.
Do you have any advice for students completing internships in your field?
As a spectator of sporting events, you never truly realize how much work and how many hours go into the production of the event. Working long hours may seem like a burden, but it gives you an opportunity to understand whether this job is right for you or not. And the answer to that question will usually present itself very quickly.