- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
From the President
I am often struck by how active, engaged and genuinely happy many of our students seem to be. It was affirming to gain confirmation of this last fall when The Princeton Review—an annual publication that surveys students at colleges across the country—ranked our campus #17 for the happiest students in the nation. The same publication also ranked our athletic facilities among the top 20 nationwide. And in another new ranking, the Wall Street Journal ranked Lake Forest College #82 among the nation’s top 100 liberal arts colleges.
It’s pleasing to see the College gain this recognition. Here on campus, we feel it’s more than due. Our 2016 entering class is exceptionally gifted academically, upper-year students are earning prizes in multiple areas, our Chicago programs are stronger than ever, and our sports teams are winning championships.
And at Homecoming in October we launched ACCESS | The Campaign for Lake Forest College—the largest campaign in the College’s history—with a $125 million goal. A ceremonial beam signing marked the start of construction of a major campaign priority: the $43 million Lillard Science Center, named for Trustees John and Paula Lillard, who made a very generous gift to lead the project. For anyone interested in watching live, minute-by-minute construction progress, go to our website at lakeforest.edu/sciencecenter and click on “construction live.” While there, please also check out our latest video of the sciences at Lake Forest College.
In this issue of Spectrum you can also read about the College’s deep connections to the 2016 World Series champion Chicago Cubs. Moreover, you can learn about the unique model our Career Advancement Center has developed to channel students’ interests toward post-graduation fulfillment and success. The model rests on five innovative Career Pathways that are becoming communities of shared interest for hundreds of our students.
Finally, thanks to insight and support from the generous parents of a 2005 graduate, you can read how students this year are learning about resilience: how to bounce back, and grow from the disappointments and setbacks that life can sometimes dish out.
Spectrum arrives in your mailboxes twice a year. In between those times, please stay in touch with campus happenings by subscribing to our twice-monthly Spectrum Extra electronic newsletter at lakeforest.edu/spectrum.
Thanks for your support, and best wishes for a safe and happy spring!
Stephen D. Schutt
Lake Forest College