- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/22/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29643__train.rev.1450734095.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/22/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29646_internshipcropped2.rev.1451945094.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/22/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29870_header-museum.rev.1522770032.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/22/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29644_chicago_museums.rev.1451945214.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/22/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/42260_header4.rev.1522425797.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/22/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/42259_header.rev.1522425160.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/22/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29881_header-skylinecropped.rev.1522426309.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/22/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/42258_header2.rev.1522425093.png)"/>
Don Meyer Presents Members’ Talk at the Chicago History Museum
Professor of Music Don Meyer presents at a “Members’ Talk” at the Chicago History Museum on March 7th, 6 p.m., about his Digital Chicago project on “Souvenir Music from the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition.”
Visitors to the 1893 World’s Fair commemorated their trip with an unlikely souvenir—sheet music. On March 7th, Professor of Music Don Meyer will present at a “Members’ Talk” at the Chicago History Museum about his Digital Chicago project on “Souvenir Music from the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition,” featuring melodic memories that served as reminders of the White City.
This event is presented as part of the new partnership between the Chicago History Museum and Lake Forest College. In fall 2016, the college became part of the museum’s University-College Membership Program, through which our students and faculty receive free admission to the museum, as well as member discounts for events as well as at the museum store and cafe. To use this benefit, simply show your college ID at the entrance desk.
Ticketing for Meyer’s March 7th “Members’ Talk” opens via the Chicago History Museum on Friday, February 17. Click here to reserve your ticket via the CHM, or find out more on the college’s calendar. The event is free for Museum members; college students and faculty may attend for free as part of the University/College Membership Program. Interested staff should contact Emily Mace to be placed on a list for free admission to the event.
The the Museum is now open until 7:30 PM on Tuesday evenings; combine your attendance at Meyer’s talk with a visit to the Chicago History Museum.
In May 2016, the CHM featured Meyer in a live performance of his score for the 1916 Chicago-produced silent film “Max Wants a Divorce,” which he developed through his 2015 work as a Chicago Fellow with the Digital Chicago grant. The audience loved Meyer’s recreation of music from a bygone era, and cheered appreciatively when they learned that he has also uncovered these musical souvenirs of the still-popular 1893 Columbian Exposition.
Meyer developed his work on the music of the World’s Fair as 2016 Chicago Fellow for Digital Chicago: Unearthing History and Culture, Lake Forest College’s $800,000 four-year (2015-2018) grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.