- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
Add/Drop Deadline Monday, January 30 at 4:30 p.m.
Refer to the attached registration guide very carefully and keep for your records during the Spring Add/Drop Period these next two weeks.
Now that we are in the second week of classes, the Add/Drop Period deadline is fast approaching. The online registration will close on Monday, January 30 at 4:30pm.
So what does Monday’s deadline mean? After 4:30pm on January 30…
- You will not be able to add any more courses to your Spring 2017 registration. The exceptions are pending Independent Studies and Internships (although you should absolutely communicate directly with me and have Independent Study forms submitted to the Registrar’s Office and Internship paperwork submitted to your on-campus Faculty Internship Supervisor as soon as possible), Applied Music lessons, Music Ensembles, Theater Practicum and non-credit Physical Education courses.
- You will not be able to drop any courses from your Spring 2017 registration without them showing up on your academic record. Any drop after January 30 is considered a course withdrawal, which means a “W” grade will be recorded on your transcript. You cannot withdraw from a course online. You must use a Course Withdraw Form and an advisor’s signature is required before submitting this form to the Registrar’s Office. The Course Withdraw Form can be found on the Students Tab of my.lakeforest under “Student Forms.” The deadline for withdrawing from a course with an automatic “W” grade is Monday, March 27. The deadline for declaring a course under the Credit/D/Fail grading arrangement is also Monday, March 27.
Again, I appreciate your continued patience as I work to get caught up on the following:
- E-mail correspondence received during the Add/Drop Period
- Updating registrations for Internship and Independent Study Forms received for the Spring 2017 semester
- Posting credits from those I have received transcripts from for Off-Campus Programs and/or transfer coursework completed during previous terms.
Any questions at this time are best directed to me by e-mail or in person. If you call me and I do not answer, please try calling back. I wish you well as you finalize your spring schedules.
Lake Forest College
Guide to the Online Add/Drop Period for ALL Students
The online registration reopens at 7:00am on Tuesday, January 17 and closes Monday, January 30th at 4:30pm. January 17th marks the first day of classes and the first day of the two-week Add/Drop Period. To add any spring course during the Add/Drop Period, regardless of whether it is open or full, you must follow three steps in exact order:
- Get a Course Authorization granted by the course instructor on the instructor’s my.lakeforest account—Talking to the instructor during class or in the hallway and getting a verbal ‘okay’ is not enough. If an instructor decides to allow you into the course, have the instructor take down your first and last name and student ID number so the instructor can enter your information into the My Authorizations area of my.lakeforest.
- Select the course on the Registration page of your Students tab on my.lakeforest—When you do a Course Search, the Course Authorization has been granted by the instructor if you see an empty checkbox appear next to the course in question in the Add column. If you did not previously place yourself on the waitlist for this course, simply place a check in this checkbox and click “Add Courses” at the bottom of the page. If you did previously waitlist yourself for the course, first go back to the Add/Drop Courses area of your Registration Page and drop yourself from the waitlist by clicking on the checkbox under Waitlisted Courses followed by clicking “Leave Selected Waitlists.” Then go back to the Course Search for the authorized course, click on the checkbox and click on “Add Courses” at the bottom of that page.
- Have advisor approval for all added courses—Advisors have been instructed how to do this on my.lakeforest. Advisors have until Wednesday, February 1st to approve your added courses. Advisors are not automatically notified of any dropped courses. The decision to drop a course should not be taken lightly: it may, for instance impact your financial aid, housing, or be a course that meets a critical requirement in your degree program. Consult with an advisor first before dropping any courses from your registration.
How do I make my course changes for the spring semester?
- Log into your my.lakeforest account.
- Click on the Students Tab
- Of the menu options listed on the left-hand side, click on “Registration.”
- Click on “Add/Drop Courses” or “Course Search” and Search by Department.
- If you have received a Course Authorization from the instructor, only then will you see a checkbox next to the course you want. Put a checkmark in the box under the Add column on the far left side for your desired course and then click the “Add courses” button. The Course Authorization granted by the course instructor will allow your course request to be processed, and you will see a message that says “Successfully added to registration record.”
- If you previously waitlisted for the course in which you were authorized, first do a Course Search for the course in question to make sure you have a checkbox by the course. If you do, go back to the Add/Drop Courses are of your Registration Page and drop yourself from the waitlist by clicking on the checkbox under Waitlisted Courses followed by clicking “Leave Selected Waitlists.” Finally, go back to the Course Search for the authorized course, click on the checkbox and click on “Add Courses” at the bottom of that page.
The Registration page says I have a hold. What does this mean and what should I do?
If you have a hold on your account from the Business Office in North Hall or Health Services in Buchanan Hall, you will not be able to access online registration to make any schedule changes and your advisor will be unable to approve courses until the hold is resolved. The Registrar’s Office cannot make changes for you either. Both offices open daily at 8:30am and have repeatedly notified students who have these holds. On the Students tab of my.lakeforest, click on the My Account page. You will see a “Current Holds” box, that will show any active holds you may have. If you see the words “No data” in this box, you have no holds. If you see the words “Enrolled in TMS Payment Plan” or “Payment Arrangement on File” in this box, you are also clear to register. Returning students who do not have accounts on hold do not need to see the Registrar or the Business Office to confirm registration. Students may simply go to class when classes begin.
The spring course I want to add tells me there’s a registration error. What does that mean?
It likely means that you don’t have a Course Authorization entered in yet for you by the course instructor or there is something wrong with the Course Authorization that was entered. Follow up with the course instructor or Registrar BJ White (email@example.com).
Okay, I selected the course(s) I want to add and I clicked the “Add Courses” button. I’m automatically registered, right?
Not quite! Once you reserve your seat in any courses, your faculty advisor still has to approve these courses on my.lakeforest. Advisors have until Wednesday, February 1st to approve your courses.
How do I let my advisor(s) know that I am submitting the courses I want to add?
Once you click “Add Courses,” this command sends the successfully selected courses electronically to the my.lakeforest accounts of your advisor(s). There is no automated e-mail notification, but you are welcome to e-mail your advisor.
How do I drop a course from my schedule?
After clicking on “Add/Drop Courses,” proceed to the bottom part of the screen where you will find a summary of your registration activity sorted into three categories:
- Your Schedule (Registered)—The courses you are officially registered for. Put a checkmark in the box next to the course code and then click “Drop Selected Courses.”
- Waitlisted Courses—The courses you are currently on a waitlist for. Put a checkmark in the box next to the course code and then click “Leave Selected Waitlists.”
*Please be courteous to other students and remove yourself from waitlists you are no longer interested in. If any sort of error message pops up, ignore the message and continue.
- Awaiting Advisor Approval—A list of courses you selected during the Change in Registration Period, and await approval by your advisor. To drop a course under this category, put a checkmark in the box next to the course code and click “Cancel Selected Approval Request(s).”
IMPORTANT NOTE—If you drop a course from any of these categories, the course is completely removed from you registration history and your advisor will not be automatically notified. Therefore, the decision to drop a course should not be taken lightly: it may, for instance, affect your financial aid or billing, or be a course that meets a critical requirement in your degree program. Consult with an advisor first before dropping any courses from your registration.
Can I still get on a waitlist or can I find out what order I am ranked on a waitlist?
Students during the Add/Drop Period can no longer place themselves on the waitlist for a course. You are NOT first required to be on a waitlist in order for an instructor to grant you a Course Authorization permitting you to join the course. All students have access to a Waitlist Ranking report on my.lakeforest located under the Students Tab. Click on the “My Courses” menu option and then click on “Waitlist Ranking” in the Waitlist Ranking Report window. The report tells you which courses you are currently on the waitlist for and what number you are on the waitlist. Your advisors do not have access to this same Waitlist Ranking report.
What are other important issues that can arise with the online registration system?
- Registering for a course with a pre-requisite that you are fulfilling with transfer coursework from another college or university—Currently, the College doesn’t officially identify courses taken at other schools as fulfilling pre-requisites. The system will generate a Requisite Error for a student who does not have the Lake Forest College prerequisite. Please e-mail BJ White at firstname.lastname@example.org when you feel a transfer course meets the pre-requisite. BJ may have to consult with a department chairperson and/or and advisor in some cases before you are administratively registered for the course.
- Registering for a course you’ve already taken (e.g. an applied lesson or ensemble in the Music Department, a course to be retaken for a better grade, or a course you previously withdrew from)—The registration system has a difficult time accepting most course repeats. If you’re having trouble with these cases, please e-mail BJ at email@example.com and he will administratively register you for the repeated course.
- Students seeking to complete an Internship or some form of Independent Study (Thesis, Research Project, Tutorial and/or Creative Project) cannot register for these online. Completed paperwork for Internships must be submitted to the appropriate On-Campus Faculty Internship Supervisor, while completed/signed paperwork for Independent Studies must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. All Internship and Independent Study paperwork for spring semester is due by January 30, the final day of the Add/Drop Period. The Independent Study Forms are available on the Students tab of my.lakeforest under “Student Forms.” To obtain credit for an Internship, students must complete the application for credit through ForesterLink on the Career Advancement Center web site: http://www.lakeforest.edu/careers/internships/ You can e-mail Registrar BJ White at firstname.lastname@example.org to temporarily register you for a generic Independent Study as a placeholder until the paperwork is submitted. The Career Advancement Center will be communicating to the Registrar’s Office which students to register for generic Internship placeholders while they go through the Internship approval process.
- APPLIED MUSIC LESSONS, MUSIC ENSEMBLES, THEATER PRACTICA AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION COURSES
* Applied Music—please see Kathi Siebert in the Reid Hall Music Office for a Course Authorization. The exact amount of credit for your lesson(s) will be finalized by Ms. Siebert with the Registrar’s Office at the end of the Add/Drop Period.
* Music Ensembles—Ensemble directors will either grant Course Authorizations or simply send me a class roster at the end of the Add/Drop Period. The ensemble directors will let me know if you are taking the ensemble for 0.25 credits or for ZERO credit.
* Theater Practica—To get enrolled in a THTR 200 Production Practicum for 0.25 credits requires a Course Authorization from Professor Brian Healy (the instructor) or Professor Richard Pettengill (the department chairperson). This course is graded Credit/D/Fail.
* Physical Education (PHYE)—Instructors of PHYE courses will either grant Course Authorizations or simply send me a class roster at the end of the Add/Drop Period. All PHYE courses are taken for ZERO credit.
How do I declare a spring course to be taken Credit/D/Fail?
Students may choose the option of receiving a notation of CR (Credit) to indicate a grade of C– or better in any course they take. Under this option, grades of D (no plus or minus), F, W, and WF are recorded on the transcript as usual. Approval of the student’s advisor is required on a Credit/D/Fail form, which is available on the Students tab of my.lakeforest under “Student Forms.” Credit/D/Fail forms need to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by Monday, March 27, which is also the last day for approved withdrawal from a course with an automatic “W” grade. More details on the Credit/D/Fail policy can be found in the College Catalog here: https://www.lakeforest.edu/academics/curriculum/grades.php