- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
Communications and Marketing
Endowed scholarship honors Professor Harmon
The scholarship memorializes Dr. Judith E. B. Harmon, a faculty member in the 1980s and 1990s who played an integral role in the development of the African American Studies Program. More than 30 alumni donors have united for the cause so far.
In total, the diverse group of donors has raised nearly $60,000 for the scholarship; most of the contributors are first-time donors. While some made gifts as small as $10, others committed to a $5,000 gift over the next five years.
Harmon was a member of the faculty from 1988 to 1995. As a gifted teacher, caring mentor, and loving mother, she left an indelible impression on everyone she met.
Harmon’s daughter, Donell Harmon ’99, was a first-year student at the time of her mother’s death. She said having her mother’s memory honored in this way is “without words.”
“She was passionate about what she did,” Donell Harmon said. “She loved teaching. She was very honest and direct, and that’s how she was as a mother. But, she loved us fiercely, and I think the same came across with the students who she taught. She really cared about their development.”
Harmon says the scholarship appears to be playing a larger role than honoring her mother; it’s also bringing people together. For instance, she observed a renewed energy to support the College among the alumni in attendance at the May event.
To learn more about how you can support the Dr. Judith E. B. Harmon Scholarship please contact Katie Roth firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-735-6005.