- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/8/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29975_header-aerialjpg.rev.1450460033.jpg)"/>
Internship Specialist for the Science and Health Care Pathway
Lake Forest College has embraced career preparation as a key institutional goal for its undergraduate students more clearly and conscientiously than most other colleges in the liberal arts tradition. Lake Forest’s career center is one of the largest in the country for a college our size, which enables us to execute innovative and effective career programs that lead to great outcomes for graduates. With its location in the Chicago metropolitan area, Lake Forest College is uniquely positioned to be a leader in career preparation. The Career Advancement Center (CAC) works collaboratively with senior administrators, faculty and staff as well as key alumni, trustees and employers within our Career Pathway communities in support of the College’s commitment to our students’ post-graduate success, and our mission to “prepare our students for, and help them attain, productive and rewarding careers.”
Our internship opportunities are central to the 4-year career preparation plan for our students, and the College is currently seeking an Internship Specialist to manage our academic internship program for the Science and Health Care Pathway and expand the breadth of internship opportunities for our students.
This professional will also help support and develop strategy related to our Build Your Own Pathway, providing early career support for students as they explore how their interests and skills relate to majors and careers across the Career Pathways.
Responsibilities for this position include the following:
Student Preparation and Career Advising:
- Guide and mentor domestic and international students in the Science and Health Care Career Pathway completing internship experiences (non-credit and for-credit), and serve as a liaison to relevant academic departments including Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Neuroscience, Physics, and Psychology.
- Advise students on resume development, interview preparation, and identification of and referrals to sites that match students’ interests.
- Assist with developing strategy for the Build Your Own Pathway and career exploration programming.
- Counsel first and second-year students and those exploring how their interests, values, skills, and personality connect to various majors and career options. Utilize career resources in exploration of potential options such as Focus 2.
- Serve as an internship supervisor for students completing internships for our academic internship program; provide seminars or other educational experiences in collaboration with fellow internship supervisors to help students develop learning goals, understand professional expectations, and apply their academic training in the workplace. Evaluate assignments and submit final grades according to College requirements.
- Develop evaluation methods and referral procedures for internship site placements to maximize the success of each experience and provide students with personalized guidance; seek to organize student/site needs to ensure continuity for students and key sites.
- Maintain contact with internship site supervisors and Associate Director for Internships and resolve conflicts in collaboration with relevant faculty/staff/site personnel if they arise.
- Work with relevant Career Pathway leaders to identify and provide industry-related pre-internship training and professional development activities to improve students’ competitiveness for the best experiential learning opportunities.
- Assist students with developing plans to maximize their internship experience during and after the experience, such as: articulating their experience in their resumés, tips for publishing/presenting research, and identifying subsequent internship experiences to support their career plan.
Relationship Management and Employer Relations:
- Initiate new off-campus partnerships and manage relationships with existing employers able to provide students high-quality jobs, internships, research experiences, shadowing, and other relevant opportunities; develop and adhere to terms of affiliation agreements with key sites.
- Cultivate relationships with Lake Forest College faculty to understand students’ academic experience on-campus and gain an understanding for on-going institutional partnerships in order to maintain the integrity of existing relationships and support new relationship development
- Learn guidelines for identifying internships worthy of credit for relevant departments.
- Organize recruiting activities, including job postings, campus interviews and specialized networking events.
- Manage, organize, and communicate information using technology systems including the alumni database (Slate), career services management system (Handshake), course management systems (Moodle), social media and website content management systems (LiveWhale and iModules).
- Assess student/employer engagement data and monitor employment trends to identify and implement strategies for improving students’ preparation and expanding available internships for students.
- Contribute to on-going internship program policy development/administration, evaluation, and promotion with the employer relations and operations team.
- Participate in relevant professional development activities.
- Complete other duties as assigned or as opportunities emerge.
- Successful completion of a relevant Master’s degree.
- Preferred experience/knowledge: college student development/career development and/or teaching; must have an interest in working with students, employers, and /or faculty from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Must have an understanding of science and health care related industries and their recruiting practices.
- Strong problem-solving skills and written/verbal communication. Must be attentive to details.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships. Experience tracking relationship-building success with a customer relationship management system is a plus.
- Must be team oriented with strong interpersonal skills and ability to think creatively; entrepreneurial spirit and fast-learner.
- Ability to use technology required for the role Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, social media, and databases.
- Available to work some evenings and weekends; valid driver’s license and willingness to travel (primarily in Chicagoland area).
Please submit cover letter and resume/CV online through this link to the Career Advancement Center’s Submission Form. Materials can be addressed to:
Career Advancement Center
Lake Forest College
555 North Sheridan Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045-2399
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until a successful candidate is found. Any correspondence related to this search should be sent to the Career Advancement Center Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A highly selective liberal arts college located on Chicago’s North Shore, Lake Forest College enrolls approximately 1,600 students from over 40 states and 70 countries. The College’s student body is culturally diverse, with approximately 40% of our students identifying as domestic students of color or international students. We also have a visible, active, and vibrant LGBT student population. Lake Forest College embraces diversity and encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. For more information about Lake Forest College, visit www.lakeforest.edu.
Lake Forest College also opened its Lillard Science Center, a state-of-the-art, 130,000-square-foot teaching and research facility last October. The Lillard Science Center is a modern hub for interdisciplinary and collaborative student-faculty research that features 21st century flexible teaching labs that support the latest pedagogies and discussion-based inquiry as well as professional grade equipment and instrumentation. For more information about our Lillard Science Center and the sciences at Lake Forest College, visit https://www.lakeforest.edu/academics/lillard.php.