- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29609_advisor.rev.1448902476.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
Behind the Scenes at Marketing Industry Day
Foresters toured the downtown offices of CenturyLink, LinkedIn, and Peapod for a day of learning and connections.
Fifteen Lake Forest students, joined by Professor Ned Loughridge, Vice President for Career Services and Athletics Jackie Slaats, as well as Career Advancement Center staff Marie Josephitis, Vernard Lockhart and Danielle Kelly, ended the semester with style at Marketing Industry Day, a full-day immersive event designed for those with an interest in marketing and communications.
The group spent the day in downtown Chicago, where they visited the offices of CenturyLink, Peapod, and LinkedIn. As they met with professionals and toured the offices, students learned about a variety of topics in marketing and communications, including digital marketing, e-commerce, professional branding, strategy, and operations. They also had the chance to meet with several Lake Forest alumni, including Charle Fern ’94, Hannah Michal ’09, Tanner Bednar ’17 and Peter Giere’18 at CenturyLink, and Tiffany Milliken ’05 at Peapod to learn more about their career paths.
Business major Taylor Jackson ’20 described Marketing Industry Day as an eye-opening experience. “It showed me the multifaceted purposes of marketing and its ability to manifest its way into many different aspects of a company, not just one sole marketing team working on one campaign,” she said.
Charle Fern ’94, Senior Manager of Segment Strategy and Field Marketing at CenturyLink, hosted students for a special presentation at the company’s downtown offices. “‘Marketing’ is such a broad term,” she said. “I wanted to give the students a practical idea of what a job in marketing in a Fortune 500 company. We explained the different types of that exist in the company – from brand and creative to content and digital to sales facing.”
A former Women’s Basketball coach at the College, Fern said that she was happy to have the opportunity to meet with current Lake Forest students. “I think that if you can help one student then it’s totally worth it – whether that’s in a literal sense of getting them a job or in the philosophical sense of showing your career can evolve with a degree from Lake Forest College.”
After their visit CenturyLink, students learned about how to market themselves and create a professional brand during a behind-the-scenes look at LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional network. The grand finale was a trip to the national headquarters of Peapod, where Marketing Manager Tiffany Milliken ’05, along with several company executives, provided insight about ecommerce, digital marketing, and commercial planning.
The trip aimed to not only teach students about the many possibilities of careers in marketing, but to allow students to experience dynamic workplace environments and provide the opportunity to meet with passionate professionals.
“Being in atmospheres with distinct company cultures was a really cool experience,” Jackson said. “It was a longer event, but 100% worth it. You will never get exposure to connections like these as easily as this.”