- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/50/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30147_english-_literature.rev.1452788000.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/50/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30146_education.rev.1452787986.png)"/>
US Supreme Court Cases
- Nexis Uni (previously LexisNexis)
- This database provides the most comprehensive information about court cases:
- Federal & State Cases provides the text of cases. Search by the party names or the citation. Provided are dispositions, prior history, a summary, headnotes, syllabus, counsel, and opinions.
- Shepard’s for US Supreme Court lists more recent cases that cite your case. You must search by the citation number for the case. (You can find this by searching in Federal & State Cases).
- Law Reviews provide analysis of court cases by legal experts.
- To search for news articles from legal newspapers, magazines, and newsletters, go to the Source Directory and go to the “Publication Type” section and select “Legal News.”
Legal Information Institute - Cornell Law School
- Provides syllabi, decisions, and opinions for court cases. Also gives information on current and recent cases.
- Go to the Supreme Court Collection for Supreme Court cases
- Federal Law Materials - Judicial Opinions has cases from other federal courts.
The Oyez Project
A multimedia database containing opinions, abstracts, and audio from oral arguments relating to Constitutional Law cases before the Supreme Court. Cases by issue and justices available.
- Great American Court Cases
- Location: REF KF 385 .A4 G74
- Summaries and analysis of major court cases. Organized by topic and then by court case.
Oxford Guide to United States Supreme Court Cases
- Location: REF KF4548.5 .O97 2009
- Account and analysis of over 450 cases including the vote of the Justices. Discusses legal and social background, the reasoning behind the Courts decisions, and the cases’ impact on American society.
West’s Encyclopedia of American Law
- Location: REF KF 154. W47 1998
- Articles on major issues, such as abortion, civil rights, freedom of speech, religion, etc. Includes summaries and case numbers of important cases.
The Supreme Court Compendium
- Location: REF KF8742 .S914 2007
- Presents historical and statistical information on every important aspect of the US Supreme Court.
Supreme Court of the United States 1789-1980: An Index to Opinions Arranged by Justice
- Location: REF KF 101.6 .B57 1983
- For each justice of the Supreme Court from 1789-1980, this book lists the court cases for which they gave opinions. It provides the case name, number and date. To find the text of the opinion, you should search for the case in one of the other sources.
Supreme Court of the United States
Official website, includes oral argument transcripts, press releases, and contact information.
Official Web site of the Federal courts, includes selected full text publications.
FindLaw: Supreme Court Opinions
A database for searching for the full-text of court decisions and briefs. Decisions from 1893-present and Opinion Summaries from 2000-present.
Links to primary sources of law, dockets, and legal news. Includes Supreme Court Opinions by year 1759-present.
FLITE - Supreme Court Decisions, 1937-1975
Provides the full-text of decisions for cases from 1937-1975.
Supreme Court Database
Downloadable data on cases and justice decisions for cases from 1953-2008.
Citing Legal Sources
A basic guide to citing legal sources.
Return to Government Information Main Page