- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29609_advisor.rev.1448902476.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
Whether you choose to earn academic credit or not, summer is an excellent time for completing a summer internship.
The right summer internship will give you the experience to get an edge on your career. Why summer?
- More time available to spend at your internship site
- Explore a new geographic area - you could live on-campus, in downtown Chicago, at home, or someplace completely different
- Access to special summer internship programs, such as the ACTIVATE program.
Employers increasingly look to their interns when they are considering full-time candidates, so performing well in a summer internship can be an important part of preparing yourself for life after graduation.
Work and Learn Together
Students will work with their Faculty Internship Supervisor/Internship Specialist and the Career Advancement Center to set internship goals and target employers able to offer meaningful learning experiences.
For-credit interns will work with an Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor throughout the summer to put learning front and center, with well-designed assignments that will lead you further along your path toward whatever your final goal may be. Some students will even participate in regular in-person or virtual seminars with their supervisor throughout the summer. Find your Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor in the right sidebar and log in to Handshake to schedule an appointment. Need help scheduling an appointment? View our Handshake Help page here!
Am I Eligible?
Summer internship credit is available to Lake Forest College students with junior standing or above by the start of their internship. Other Lake Forest College students may request to be admitted to the summer internship program and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Eligible Lake Forest College students may earn credit for completing between 150 and 300 hours for college credit along with the requirements provided by their Faculty Internship Supervisor.
We’re On Each Other’s Team
Students work with the Career Advancement Center and their Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor no later than the spring semester to secure an opportunity that meets the academic internship guidelines and career goals. Summer internships vary in length, duration, and geographic location. While there are many great internships in Chicago, your career advisor can also help you to develop search plans for the internships you would like to pursue. The earlier you start your search, the more likely you are to secure a quality internship.
The Career Advancement Center will help you to explore your options, polish your cover letter/resume, prepare for interviews, and collaborate with you and your Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor to troubleshoot your internship search if you have trouble finding just the right one. Some internship sites may require you to earn credit, particularly in the sciences or psychology, so start making financial plans early.
As soon as you secure your internship, submit the for-credit internship application. You will receive access to the application from your Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor. The preferred registration deadline is May 16 for all summer internships. In order to be approved for summer internship credit, you will need to submit all requested materials prior to the start of the internship; See the For-Credit Internships page for additional details.
In order to earn credit, you must complete all academic requirements concurrently with internship completion - there is no retroactive credit. You should not start your internship before securing approval.
Your Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor can help you set start/end dates to ensure requirements and hours are completed appropriately. You may be expected to align the start or completion of your hours and academic work with that of other students to facilitate online or in-person group activities that can enhance your internship experience. All requirements should be completed by July 31; some exceptions can be made for internships that extend into August, with approval from your Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor and the the Director of Internships.
Do you need financial support?
There are two ways to obtain funding to off-set the costs of completing a summer internship:
1. Summer Grant: Contact Adriana Rodriguez in the Office of Financial Aid to determine your eligibility for a summer grant to reduce the cost of summer tuition. Email her with your full name and the number of internship and non-internship credits you hope to earn for the summer. She can provide you with your cost per credit now – even without your internship secured.
ACTIVATE: Summer Internship Program students should reference the program materials for funding information.
2. Lake Forest College Internship Funding Program: Students completing unpaid internships may be eligible for up to $2,500 to help alleviate costs associated with their experience. Students from ALL majors and completing internships in any field may apply for the program. The funding program has a competitive application process and you will not receive final approval for funding until your internship is approved by the Director of Internships.
Are You Ready?
Review your next steps and the academic internship guidelines outlined on our For-Credit Internships page.