- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29609_advisor.rev.1448902476.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
The Lake Forest College Career Advancement Center makes every effort to screen opportunities posted via our ForesterLink system. If you learn about an opportunity through ForesterLink or any other method that seems suspicious or too good to be true do not apply or provide any information.
Examples of suspicious activity:
- Unsolicited emails or emails that state that they received your information from the Career Advancement Center (the Career Advancement Center does not disseminate student information to any organizations for job postings).
- Employer requests that you provide personal credentials (i.e. social security number, credit card numbers, bank account information).
- Employer requests you to wire money, provide your bank account information, transfer money via your bank account, cash a check, send money via courier, or raise money before beginning employment.
- You are asked to provide a photo of yourself.
- Salary range is much higher than the norm for the position.
- Employer is offering to pay you for doing very little work or offering to pay you for your work without ever meeting with or speaking to you.
- The posting focuses on money but fails to detail job requirements/qualifications.
- Employer offers you a job without an interview.
- Email opportunities where the company name and the email domain name do not match.
- Employers that lack a web presence or employers that have a web presence but lack detailed information about the organization.
- Employer contacts you by phone but no phone number is provided to call them back.
- Email contains numerous spelling or grammatical errors in the email.
- Trust your instincts. Any opportunity that sounds too good to be true is probably just that.
- ALWAYS confirm that you have the correct email domain by checking the official company website.
- It is helpful to Google the employer’s phone number, email address and physical address to make sure that they’re connected to a legitimate organization.
- You can also Google the organization’s name with the word “scam” (ex. “ABC Company scam”) to see whether there are any reports of fraud involving that company.
The following websites will help you to verify legitimate organizations:
If you think you are the victim of a scam:
- Immediately contact your local police department (regardless of whether the fraud is local or in another state).
- If you have sent money to a fraudulent employer, immediately contact your bank or credit card company to close the account and dispute the charges
- If the incident occurred entirely over the Internet, file an incident report with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) online at http://www.cybercrime.gov/ or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).
Report suspicious postings/employers to the Career Advancement Center:
- If you have a concern about an opportunity you view via ForesterLink, please contact Alina Guarise at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you believe you are a victim of a scam you may file a report with the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams#report .