- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
Career Milestones: Forester Career Plan
The Forester Career Plan is an action-oriented four-year program that enables students to develop and implement an effective career strategy to accomplish professional goals.
Developing career goals — and a plan of action to achieve them — is a central part of your Lake Forest education. With guidance from the Career Advancement Center, along with your professors, coaches, and a host of alumni, you’ll learn how to choose a major, build and activate a professional network, and develop a plan to position yourself for success after college.
Learn about yourself and your career/academic options
- Talk to faculty and upperclassmen about what, why, and how they do it
- Take new and interesting courses
- Join an on-campus organization
- Build a resume
- Think about declaring a major and select a faculty advisor
Target a (few) professional pathway(s) and develop relevant skills.
- Talk to professionals to gather career specific information
- Pursue job shadowing, research, volunteer work, or a summer internship
- Update your resume with new experiences
- Declare a major and select a faculty advisor
Refine your professional pathway(s) and strengthen relevant skills.
- Research potential companies, organizations, and graduate/professional schools
- Talk to professionals at the sites you’ve identified or in your field(s) of interest
- Identify ways you need to strengthen your skill set and pursue additional coursework, internships, job shadowing, research, or other development opportunities
- Practice articulating your unique skills and experiences by updating your resume, preparing for interviews, and developing a brief self-introduction
Polish your credentials and pursue opportunities with employers and graduate/professional schools that fit your skills, interests, and values.
- Mobilize your network to help with the search; keep contacts informed about your progress and transition
- Complete an additional internship or research opportunity in your target field
- Refine your resume and interviewing skills
- Identify and apply for employment, graduate school, fellowships, or other opportunities
- Prepare to negotiate, navigate, and accept offers