- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
“Work-Study” is simply an opportunity to have a part-time job while going to school. Jobs are in administrative offices, academic departments, the library, the sports center, campus security, and other campus locations.
This need-based program is funded by the government and the College, and is awarded to eligible U.S. citizens and permanent residents. We offer work-study funds to students who live on campus and qualify for the Federal Pell Grant.
Lake Forest College Work-Study
This program is primarily need-based and is funded by the College. It is awarded to international students who qualify and hold proper visa status, and (on a limited basis) to students who do not qualify for federal work-study funds.
How are students placed?
You must have been awarded Federal Work-Study or Lake Forest Work-Study by the Office of Financial Aid in order to work on campus.
Priority in placing students may be based on several factors
- level of financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid
- date of receipt of all applications (admission, financial aid, work-study)
- date of their deposit made to the College
Students must complete employment forms in the Office of Business Affairs before beginning work.
Students are expected to treat their position like any other ob. Once a work schedule has been established, students are expected to show up at the agreed-upon times. Students who are unable to work at an assigned time are expected to inform his/her supervisor in advance. Repeated absences and other inappropriate conduct are not acceptable and are grounds for termination.
How much can be earned?
Students who are eligible under either program are normally offered up to $2,500 for the year though the amount is not guaranteed. This equates to approximately 12 hours per week, which is the maximum number of weekly hours a student may work. Once a student earns the amount offered, the College reserves the right to end that student’s employment for the year.
Students who have not been offered funds from either program are generally not permitted to work on campus. (See Off-campus employment) If all eligible students have been placed in jobs and positions remain open, it is possible for others to be offered employment.
Students are paid by “direct deposit” or check every two weeks, unless different arrangements have been made with the Office of Business Affairs.
Where are on-campus jobs available?
A current listing of on-campus jobs is posted on Handshake, the College’s career platform. Students with Work-Study included on their financial aid award letter have priority for all on-campus positions. Search for Lake Forest College as the employer.
Note that, as a general rule, students are limited to two on-campus positions unless granted authorization from the Business Office.
Opportunities for off-campus employment
Job opportunities exist in the community, although they are not considered “work-study” positions. Lake Forest College students have access to part-time jobs through QuadJobs, a free marketplace that connects local families and small businesses with Lake Forest College students seeking part-time employment. Students can find internships in Handshake, Lake Forest’s online career portal and job board.