Federal Stafford Loans
The Stafford Loan is the most common of all federal student loans. The “subsidized” loan is awarded when you have financial need; the “unsubsidized” loan is awarded if you do not have financial need, or if your need has already been met by other types of financial aid.
Interest rates for the 2016–2017 academic year were announced on May 12 (see right column under Loan Basics).
Please do not apply for the Stafford Loan until instructed to do so by the Office of Financial Aid.
How to apply, step-by-step
Follow these steps if you are a first time borrower:
- Go to www.studentloans.gov
- Sign in using your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID.
• Do not use your parent’s FSA ID.
• Create an FSA ID? Did you forget yours? Go to fsaid.ed.gov.
- (First-time borrowers only) Complete Entrance Counseling.
- (All) Click on the Complete Master Promissory Note link.
- Click on Subsidized / Unsubsidized then complete/sign the MPN.
- When you are able to view and print the full MPN in .pdf format, you have completed the MPN.
- Print and save a copy for your records.
What Happens Next
The Office of Financial Aid will receive word that you have completed the Counseling and MPN. After we certify the loan (confirm your eligibility) the loan funds will be sent to the College and applied to your tuition account. You will receive a notice from the College’s Business Office when the funds have been applied to your account.
Is there a time limit on how long I can receive loans?
If you are a first-time borrower on or after July 1, 2013, there is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. This time limit does not apply to Direct Unsubsidized Loans or Direct PLUS Loans. If this limit applies to you, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150 percent of the published length of your program. This is called your “maximum eligibility period.” Your maximum eligibility period is generally based on the published length of your current program.
Assistant Director of Financial Aid