Federal Parent Loan (“PLUS”)
The PLUS Loan is designed with the parent in mind. From this loan program, the parent may borrow the difference between the “cost of attendance” and all financial aid the student has received.
Parents who wish to borrow the Parent PLUS Loan for the first time must complete the PLUS Loan Request and the PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) via www.studentloans.gov
Repeat borrowers must complete the PLUS Loan Request online. You will be contacted via email if a new MPN is needed.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed before you can apply for this loan.
Parents who wish to borrow the Parent PLUS Loan, please follow these steps:
1) Determine the amount you need to borrow, by using the Budget Calculator. Note that the “end value” is the NET amount needed from the loan to cover the costs listed in the first two sections of the Calculator (not books, travel, personal expenses, etc.). Once you have determined the NET amount, divide that value by 0.957 to arrive at the GROSS amount you need to request to end up with the NET amount.
2) You (the parent) must sign in at www.studentloans.gov. Select “Request a Direct PLUS Loan” then select “Parent PLUS.” Please use your own Federal Student Aid ID and not the student’s FSA ID. To create an FSA ID or if you forgot yours, go to www.fsaid.ed.gov.
3) Select the loan period for the loan. You can apply for a full year loan by selecting August 2016 to May 2017. You can apply for a fall term loan only by selecting August - December 2016. Or you can apply for a spring loan only by selecting January - May 2017.
4) Select the loan amount you wish to borrow. Remember to include the 4.276% origination fee to the total loan amount. You will also have the option to request the maximum amount available to you which is the cost of attendance minus financial aid received.
5) If you were approved, complete the Master Promissory Note.
- On the home page of www.studentloans.gov select “complete MPN” then select “Parent PLUS” and complete all four steps.
If you receive a negative credit decision, you will be presented with the following options :
- Appeal the decision – You should consider this option if you think there is an error on your credit report.
- Apply with an endorser – Additional information will be presented to you by the Application Services Department, but make a note of the loan ID number.
- Additional Unsubsidized loan for the student - Additional loan limits are- first-year and sophomore students: up to $4,000 per year, and junior and senior students: up to $5,000 per year.
- Undecided – No additional loans will be awarded to the student. Please contact our office to discuss the options.
IMPORTANT: If you cannot complete the Parent PLUS Loan request online, please contact Adriana Rodriguez to request a PLUS Loan Request form.
What happens next
If you are eligible for a PLUS Loan:
Approximately 10 days after you submit the PLUS Loan Request Form to us, we receive word of the credit decision. If the PLUS Loan is approved, it will appear on your tuition account as an anticipated credit. After we certify the loan (confirm your eligibility) the loan funds will be sent to the College and applied to the student’s tuition account. You will receive a notice from the College’s Business Office when the funds have been applied to your student’s account.
If you are not eligible for a PLUS Loan (“adverse credit”):
If you are denied the PLUS Loan your son/daughter will be able to receive some additional funds, up to $5,000, from the Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan.
A PLUS Loan can be denied if you have adverse credit, currently defined as being 90 or more days delinquent on any debt, or any of the following in the last five years: loan default, bankruptcy, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment, etc…
If you want to modify an existing PLUS Loan:
use this Request to Modify form to increase/reduce/cancel a loan.