- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
We realize that each homeschool student has chosen a unique path, and as such we evaluate your preparation in a holistic manner. We want to know the experiences and ideas that have shaped your life and how you can translate that to our campus.
We also want to know if you see Lake Forest as the right fit for you. For example, will you take advantage of our proximity to Chicago, our research and study abroad options, or our internships? Will you embrace the diversity of our campus community and the wide variety of interests and backgrounds?
We look forward to getting to know you and helping you decide if Lake Forest is the right fit. You can contact your homeschool admission counselor with any questions. Here’s what we are looking for:
Your educational plan
Each homeschool student has different goals and priorities. We would like you to submit: (1) a brief description of your goals for homeschooling; (2) a syllabus or detailed description of the courses you have taken, including books or articles used; and (3) a general outline of how your education has been structured, i.e., daily study patterns, experiential learning opportunities, and relevant travel.
In general we expect the following to be structured into your education:
- 4 years of English
- 3 or more years of mathematics (minimum requirement is through algebra II/trigonometry)
- 3 or more years of natural science
- 3 or more years of social science
- 2 or more years of foreign language(s) (recommended, but not required)
These can be through self-guided study, distance learning programs, courses through a local high school, or college courses. We do not require a GED.
As a homeschool student, the interview is a conversation about your preparation for college and your goals, as well as what you value in an education. We see the interview as an opportunity to “lift yourself off the page” and get beyond just the statistics and test scores.
Letters of recommendation
We require two letters of recommendation. At least one of your recommendations should be from someone unrelated to you and may include someone who has supervised you in community service, a coach, or extra-curricular activity. Recommendations should address your academic potential and contributions to the community.
Standardized test scores
We accept both the ACT and the SAT, and take the best sub-scores to compile a composite score. Homeschool students are required to submit standardized tests.
Lake Forest College ACT code: 1054
Lake Forest College SAT code: 1392