- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
For Our Faculty
Read on for tips and information about general writing processes that you can integrate into your course design and class instruction.
A handout to guide students in generating and developing thesis statements containing definitions, examples, and revision strategies. Also details the difference between thesis and purpose statements.
Developed by Assistant Professor Josh Corey, summarized from Diane Hacker’s Writing About Literature. Presents concepts and examples for theses, as well as a discussion on forms of argument.
Teaching Students to Read Analytically in Order to Write Analytically
A practical tool with tips and strategies for helping students move from analytical reading to reading-to-write notes, evidence charts, and topic sentences.
Teaching Students to Edit for Grammar and Style
An extended chart containing common errors, examples, tips and references, and links to online exercises.
Accompanied by explanations and references to Strunk & White’s Elements of Style.
A chart detailing three different approaches to grading grammar and suggestions for how to combine them.
Teaching the Research Paper and Process
Delineates five stages of the research process, detailing goals, helpful strategies, and outcomes for each stage.
A look at the revisions of a College Writing 100 research paper assignment with comments on the pros and cons of different edits.
Teaching with Response Papers
Contains a discussion of the concept of the response paper, its specific use at Lake Forest College, strategies to re-focus the response paper, and tips on assigning it.
A look at the multiple revisions of a College Writing 100 response paper assignment with comments on the pros and cons of different structures.
Assignment Design Models and Tips
General suggestions to improve the overall clarity and effectiveness of written assignments.
A short list of key elements short assignments should contain.
Examples of different kinds of informal writing exercises to help students brainstorm and move toward drafting.
Sample Assignments from Lake Forest College Courses
Suggestions for Commenting on Student Writing
Grading and Assessing Student Writing
Ready-to-use sample form that can be adapted to your own requirements if necessary.
Supporting International and Bilingual Students
Faculty members can better meet their international and bilingual students’ needs by understanding the ways in which English language learners relate to and work with language.