- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
Office of Faculty Development
Teaching with Cognitive Science
The Associated Colleges of the Midwest awarded Lake Forest College a Faculty Career Enhancement Program, funded by the Mellon Foundation, to develop materials and programming that informs faculty about what Cognitive Scientists are learning about teaching and how it may be applicable in a Liberal Arts setting.
The Faculty Work Group was assembled after a very successful workshop which was held in May of 2016. On this page are posted items that the Work Group found useful, including links to videos, presentations, and readings.
VIDEOS and PODCASTS
The Science of Students’ Brains: 15 Minutes with Terry Doyle. ACUE.
Sashank Varma, Using Cognitive Science Research to inform Pedagogy: Pdf of presentation at Lake Forest College. Available to Lake Forest College faculty by request.
Henry Roediger, Lecture on Retrieval Practice to Enhance Learning (at Montana State University). Video.
Benassi, V. A., Overson, C. E., & Hakala, C. M. (2014). Applying science of learning in education: Infusing psychological science into the curriculum. Retrieved from the Society for the Teaching of Psychology web site: http://teachpsych.org/ebooks/asle2014/index.php
H. Roediger and A. Butler, “The Critical Role of Retrieval Practice in Long Term Retention.” Trends in Cognitive Science 15.1 (2011)
P. Argawal et al. Examining the Testing Effect with Open- and Closed-Book Tests. Applied Cognitive Pscychology 22 (2008).
James Lang, Small Changes in Teaching—Steps to Implement the lessons of Cognitive Science in the classroom. Chronicle of Higher Education.
J. Dunloskey, et al. “Improving Student Learning with Effective Learning Techniques.” Psychological Science in the Public Interest. 14.1 (2013)
D.T. Willingham, “Ask the Cognitive Scientist: Are Sleepy Students Learning?” American Educator 2012-2013.