- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/54/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29895_mathematics_header.rev.1450297934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/54/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29894_computer_science_header.rev.1450297918.png)"/>
Mathematics and Computer Science
Internships and Careers
Our data science, mathematics, and computer science program gives students the practical tools they need for advanced study and an increasing variety of careers, including computer programming, web design, and software engineering. Through internships, our students prepare for the ever-changing nature of technology and computer science while providing learning tools to succeed in today’s hi-tech world.
Lake Forest College facilitates five career communities called Career Pathways to help students explore major/career options and position themselves for the internships that will help them to further prepare for productive and rewarding careers after graduation. Students from all majors can participate in the Career Pathways to shape their career goals alongside of their academic interests.
Data Science, math and computer science majors most often find their fit in the Business and Finance Pathway.
Since math and computer science skills are needed in all industries, students most often select their career pathway based upon specialty areas they most enjoy.
- The Business and Finance Pathway helps students understand how organizations function, which strengthens students’ capability to understand organizational structure and problems that need to be solved.
- Students interested in working with non-profit organizations or regulatory affairs would likely be engaged in the Law and Public Service Pathway.
- Students interested in multimedia design would join the Creative Arts and Communication Pathway.
- Students seeking to analyze data for gene sequences would join the Science and Health Care Pathway.
- Students can explore as many pathways as they’d like until they find their fit, and the Build Your Own Pathway can also serve as a home base.
Here are common career options pursued by data science, mathematics, and computer science students:
- Web developer
- Applications programmer
- Software engineer
- IT consultant
- Implementation specialist
- Security analyst
- Actuarial scientist
- Risk management
- Computational science
Explore the Career Pathways by participating in events, reading profiles of students’ and alumni experiences, and by joining a pathway (or two). Remember to look at the next steps pages to get ideas for immediate ways to prepare yourself for great internships and a productive, rewarding career after graduation.