- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/29/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29899_english-_literature.rev.1450298125.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/29/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29900_english_header_-_writing.rev.1450298140.png)"/>
English and Creative Writing
Opportunities After Graduation
What can I do with a major in English?
Instead of giving you the ol’ run around about what you can do, here you will find what some of your fellow English major alumni are doing:
- Public Relations at Burson-Marstellar
- Corporate Communications at Abbot Labs
- Social Services for the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Special Agent at the Department of Defense
- Associate Editor at Jones & Bartlett Publishers
- Attorney at Bernard J. Michna, PC
- Chief Executive Officer at Merlion Entertainment
- Annual Giving Coordinator at Mosaic
- Assistant Professor at Seattle University
- Financial Advisor at AXA Equitable
- Financial Advisor at Apollo Group
- Senior Writer at G4 Media
- Vice President Account Executive at Fidelity Investments
- Vice President of Government Relations at GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy
- Executive Director at the Baltimore Architecture Foundation
- Attorney at Northern Trust
- Media Director at WCG
Still, these are just a few careers of the growing list of Forester, English major alumni. The list is broader in scope and longer than you might imagine. So it is worth taking the time to think considerately about your future and not limiting your options.
How can I prepare for a career?
Besides talking over your goals with Professor Mengelkoch and other professors in the English and Creative Writing Department, you should seek out the Career Advancement Center, which can provide you with an array of services. They can help you assess your skills and career interests, learn job-searching strategies, create an effective resume, and polish your interviewing skills. You should be familiar with their website.
From the Career Advancement Center website, you can access sample resumes and the tools necessary to create industry-specific resumes. You will also find out how to become part of LinkedIn, which will enable you to join a professional networking group, allowing you to contact Lake Forest alumni who are willing to help you in your job search.
Go here for more information about internships. Or contact Victoria Beagle, Internship Director for Humanities, to start your search for an internship appropriate for academic credit in the English and Creative Writing Department.