The David B. Mathis Kemper Scholar Program at Lake Forest College, awarded by the James S. Kemper Foundation, provides scholarships, internships, and career coaching to high-potential undergraduate students enabling them to develop the practical and professional skills they need to successfully launch a career in business.
What makes a good Kemper Scholar?
The ideal candidate is smart, committed to a career in business and motivated not just to do well, but also to do good.
Who is eligible?
Review the Kemper Scholar Student Eligibility page for detailed information.
What are the benefits?
- $3,000-$15,000 (based on demonstrated need) per academic year during sophomore, junior and senior years.
- Rising juniors complete Community-Based Internships with a Chicagoland not-for-profit organization. The Foundation pays for Scholars’ housing and provides them with a $5,000 stipend.
- Rising seniors secure paid Business Internships with for-profit organizations – either at Kemper Corporation or a business of their choice. The Foundation provides these Scholars with a $5,000 stipend.
Mentoring and Coaching
- From internship supervisors, co-workers and Foundation staff
- Kemper Scholars Annual Conference, where students can reflect on their experiences and learn from their peers
What is the application process?
Review the Kemper Scholars Application Process page for detailed instructions.
- NOW: Application is open: start drafting responses that can be saved until you are ready to submit it
- December 6: Request two recommendations from Lake Forest College professors, high school teachers, or others in a position in similar roles in the applicant’s life
- December 13: Consult with Kemper Scholarship Campus Coordinator, Stewart Foley or Career Pathway Leader, Marie Josephitis (optional)
- January 22: Final deadline for application
Note: applicants should use the application portal to make requests for recommendation letters.