A Creative Writing Camp for Teens
High school students can join a supportive community of young creative writers in our residential summer program on the beautiful North Shore of Chicago.
We regret to announce that, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the 2020 Writing and Thinking Workshop has been canceled.
Our Writing Program
In our residential summer program for high school students, you will hone your creative writing skills in workshops led by an Associate of the Bard College Institute for Writing and Thinking.
Writing In and Around Chicago
You will be a short train ride from Chicago where you may explore and write at such places as the Art Institute of Chicago, Millennium Park, and the Improv Olympics Theater — all with young writers who share your interests.
With its 100 acres of wooded areas and walking paths, a mile from the Lake Michigan shore, the Lake Forest College campus offers an ideal setting for a summer, residential program for young writers.
June 13 – June 26,
There is no deadline. Applications are considered in the order they are received until the program is full.
Former participants write:
Being at Lake Forest in 2010 really reinvigorated the passion I had for writing, and today I still use what I learned when my work seems difficult or uninspired.
–Dana Schwartz, author of the YA novel And We’re Off
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><p> Without this workshop, I wouldn’t have been able to get past my writer’s block and rediscover how much I love to write.</p></div>--Participant, 2017
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><p> We all arrive with empty pages and leave with them filled, and that’s awesome. It’s also very rewarding to listen to people’s writing because it is impossible not to bond with them that way.</p></div>--Participant, 2017
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><p> I liked that this workshop included all writing styles—poetry, prose, fiction, essay, and so on. I wanted to learn about and try out new genres, and this workshop was ideal as opposed to other workshops that focused exclusively on one genre.</p></div>--Participant, 2017
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><p> The Writing and Thinking Workshop has given me the priceless gift of learning alongside and from my peers, who share my passion for writing. </p></div>--Participant, 2017
- <div class="lw_blurbs_body"><p> This camp has been a breath of fresh air for me. My hometown has nothing like this at all. Writing is looked at as more of a hobby than anything else. Here, with peers just as passionate as I am, I can cut loose and make truly beautiful pieces of writing.</p></div>--Participant, 2017
Join us on Facebook