- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/54/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29895_mathematics_header.rev.1450297934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/54/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29894_computer_science_header.rev.1450297918.png)"/>
Mathematics and Computer Science
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Areas of Specialization
Analytic Number Theory
Computational Number Theory
PhD Dartmouth College 2011
Thesis: Numerically Explicit Estimates for Character Sums
Advisor: Carl Pomerance
MA Dartmouth College
BA University of Texas at El Paso
Travel grant from the American Mathematical Society to attend the 1st Congress of the Americas held in Guanajuato in August 2013.
Swarthmore College Research Award (2011-2013)
GAANN Fellowship (2006-2007)
Top 200 in the 66th Putnam exam, Dec. 2005
Selected Courses Taught
MATH 499: Great Theorems in Mathematics (Senior Seminar)
MATH 491: Tutorial (Topology)
MATH 411: Real Analysis II
MATH 340: Geometry
MATH 330: Modern Algebra I
MATH 329: Number Theory
MATH 311: Real Analysis I
MATH 230: Abstract and Discrete Mathematics
MATH 214: Differential Equations
MATH 210: Multivariable Calculus
MATH 160: Math Methods and Applications
MATH 150: Introduction to Probability and Statistics
MATH 110: Calculus I
CS 112: Introduction to Programming
FIYS 169: Recreational Mathematics
MATH 53 (Swarthmore College): Analytic Number Theory
MATH 77 (Swarthmore College): Algebraic Number Theory
MATH 27 (Swarthmore College): Linear Algebra
MATH 25 (Swarthmore College): Calculus II
MATH 20 (Dartmouth College): Discrete Probability
Cuban Mathematical Olympiads. Written by Robert Bosch. Translated by Enrique Treviño. Published by XYZ Press (2017). ISBN: 978-0-9968745-4-0
12. Finding the four squares in Lagrange’s Theorem (with Paul Pollack). Integers 18A (2018), article A15, 16 pages (electronic).
11. Counting Perfect Polynomials (with U.C. Cengiz and P. Pollack). Finite Fields and Their Applications 47C (2017) pp. 242-255 DOI information: 10.1016/j.ffa.2017.05.006.
10. Resolving Grosswald’s conjecture on GRH (with K. McGown and T. Trudgian) Functiones et Approximatio, Commentarii Mathematici 55.2 (2016), pp. 215-225.
9. The Burgess inequality and the least k-th power non-residue International Journal of Number Theory Vol. 11, No. 5 (2015), pp. 1-26.
8. The smoothed Pólya-Vinogradov inequality (with K. Adamczewski), Integers 15 (2015), 11 pages (electronic).
7. The least k-th power non residue Journal of Number Theory 149 (2015), pp. 201-224. DOI information: 10.1016/j.jnt.2014.10.019
6. The primes that Euclid forgot (with P. Pollack), American Mathematical Monthly 121 (2014), no. 5, 433-437.
5. Sets of monotonicity for Euler’s totient function (with P. Pollack and C. Pomerance), The Ramanujan Journal 30 (2013), no. 3, 379-398.
4. On the maximum number of consecutive integers on which a character is constant Moscow Journal of Combinatorics and Number Theory (2012), vol.2, iss. 1, pp. 56-72. Corrigendum appeared in Moscow Journal of Combinatorics and Number Theory (2017), vol.7, iss. 3.
3. The least inert prime in a real quadratic field, Mathematics of Computation, vol. 81, no. 279, July 2012, pp. 1777-1797.
2. Multi-dimensional Frobenius problem (with J. Amos, I. Pascu, V. Ponomarenko and Y. Zhang), Involve, a Journal of Mathematics 4-2 (2011), 187—197.
1. On the counting function for the generalized Niven numbers (with R. Daileda, J. Jou, R. Lemke-Oliver and E. Rossolimo), J. Théor. Nombres Bordeaux 21 (2009), no. 3, 503—515.
Articles Submitted for Publication
Undergraduate Thesis Directed
Richter Projects Supervised
What’s so rational about the alphabet? by Kevin Kupiec and Marina Rawlings, Summer 2014 (3-week project).
Finding perfect polynomials mod 2 by Ugur Caner Cengiz, Summer 2014 (10-week project).
On Tupper’s Self-Referential Formula by Margaret Fortman, Summer 2015 (4-week project).
First-world solutions to First-year problems by Robert Mecham, Summer 2015 (10-week project).
Beatty Sequences and the Prime Race by Noel Orwothwun, Summer 2016 (4-week project).
2000-2001, participated as a student. Won a gold medal at the Mexican Mathematical Olympiad in Nov. 2001.
2003-present, member of the Chihuahua Math Olympiad Committee. I have trained many students from the state of Chihuahua.
2015-present, member of the Mexican Math Olympiad Committee.
Deputy Leader of the Mexican team participating in the sixth European Girls Mathematical Olympiad in Zurich, Switzerland from April 6, to April 12 2017.
Leader of the Mexican team participating in the seventh European Girls Mathematical Olympiad in Florence, Italy from April 9 to 15 2018.