- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
Participating in an off-campus program, whether to study, intern, research or volunteer, can be a life-changing experience. You might spend a semester studying entrepreneurship in China, interning at OXFAM in Brussels, networking with successful alumni in Chicago’s Loop, doing hands-on research on dengue fever in Costa Rica – or your can choose an entirely different way to customize your academic career at Lake Forest College.
We believe deeply in the value of off-campus learning, and many students pursue these experiences, especially during their junior or senior years. Such study may be on a different continent, or through one of our approved domestic programs in Chicago or Oak Ridge, Tennesee. Programs are offered in each semester and during the summer. Lake Forest College offers all of these opportunities and many more for students wishing to enhance the knowledge gained on-campus through an off-campus program.
The College is mindful of the benefits gained not only by students who study off campus but also by the larger campus community upon their return. Sharing their experiences with others, in and out of the classroom, these returning students contribute to our community’s understanding of global issues and enrich our campus life.
Students may participate for credit in a total of two semester-long programs chosen from our list of 200+ programs in 70 countries. The programs on this list may be sponsored by Lake Forest College, the Associated Colleges of the Midwest, or one of several trusted program providers. All Lake Forest and affiliated program options can be found on the Programs We Offer webpage. The only exceptions to this two-semester limitation are the following:
- The Lake Forest In the Loop Program is not included in this limitation. Students may go on two semester-long off-campus programs and still remain eligible to participate in one term in Lake Forest In the Loop. The total amount of programs completed is not to exceed three semesters.
- If a student has a truly compelling reason to study off campus for a third semester in a program other than Lake Forest College In the Loop, the student may petition the Academic Appeals Board (AAB) for permission. The College does not favor such petitions, however, and the AAB will very rarely approve one. More information is available from the Director of Off-Campus Programs.
Please review the “Financial Aid” section for information about transferability of financial aid.