- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
“The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul.”
— Alfred Austin
The Lake Forest College Garden was established in 2010. We have been listed in the top ten reasons to attend the College, expanded student contact with agriculture, and sparked a number of food-oriented initiatives on campus.
Each spring the Department of Environmental Studies hires student stewards to manage the garden over its growing season. Stewards are responsible for everything in the garden, from planning the layout, planting, and harvesting, to managing the sale of produce on campus and at the Lake Forest Farmers’ Market.
A variety of vegetables, fruits, flowers, and herbs are planted in the garden, and the selection changes every year depending on what the students choose to plant.
Produce from the garden is sold over the summer on campus during Middle Campus Market days and in town at the Lake Forest Farmers’ Market.