- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
Office of the President
Stephen D. Schutt is the 13th president of Lake Forest College. He was inaugurated in 2001.
Stephen D. Schutt
Under his leadership enrollment has increased by more than 300 students; applications have more than doubled; the College has completed two development campaigns, including a Sesquicentennial Campaign that surpassed its $100 million goal a year early in 2011; and the College has invested $100 million in campus facility improvements. Faculty have developed nearly a dozen new majors or minors during President Schutt’s tenure, as well as a series of innovative joint, accelerated degree programs with prestigious graduate and professional schools. The College has also developed three key on-campus centers, including a Center for Chicago Programs that helps students and faculty take advantage of the Windy City’s educational resources; the Gates Center for Leadership and Personal Growth; and an Ethics Center. Several new off-campus programs have also been established under President Schutt around the world and in the Chicago Loop.
Before coming to Lake Forest, President Schutt served for six years as Vice President and Chief of Staff at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was a principal author and coordinator of the University’s strategic plan; supervisor of budget, planning, communications and other administrative operations; co-director of Penn’s West Philadelphia revitalization program; and the President’s chief advisor.
Mr. Schutt previously served as Chief of Staff to United States Senator Harris Wofford, and as Deputy Secretary for the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry. Educated at Earlham College (B.A.), the University of London (M.A. in English Literature), and the University of Pennsylvania (J.D.), he began his career as a journalist, and subsequently practiced law with Ballard, Spahr, Andrews & Ingersoll, a national law firm headquartered in Philadelphia.
Mr. Schutt serves on the board of the Lake Forest Graduate School of Management, and has served as chair of the Associated Colleges of the Midwest, as an Earlham College trustee, and as a member of the Academic Advisory Council of the National Institute for Technology and Liberal Education.
Mr. Schutt and his family live in Lake Forest, Illinois.