- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
Meet Our Staff
Claudia Ramirez Islas
Claudia Ramirez Islas serves as the Director of the Intercultural Relations Office. As the Director, Claudia Ramirez Islas helps facilitate intergroup dialogue on themes related to identity development, social justice education, diversity, systems of oppression and best inclusive practices as we strive for a more inclusive and more accepting campus climate.
Claudia Ramirez Islas graduated from Lewis & Clark College with a Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art with a Mathematics minor and graduated from San Diego State University with a Master of Arts in Postsecondary Educational leadership with a Specialization in Student Affairs. Dirven by passion for social justice education Claudia Ramirez Islas prides herself in constantly creating safe and inclusive spaces for individuals to freely express themselves and share their story of strength and resilience. As a proud Latina, Claudia Ramirez Islas uses her identity and culture as a way of self-expression that is embodied not on in her work with students but also in her work as a social justice educator, artist, activist and community member.
Claudia Ramirez Islas has facilitated and led various workshops at the reginal and national level, across different institutions and organizations like the National Association for Student Affairs Professionals (NASPA) and the National Conference of Race and Ethnicity (NCORE). Claudia Ramirez Islas has consistently utilized creative mediums like the arts to engage others more deeply and fully on relevant and pressing issues impacting underrepresented communities and students during the current political and social climate.
Claudia Ramirez Islas has utilized her identity, experience, knowledge, and story to influence and contribute to the diversity and inclusion of all community members at every institution that she has been a part of. She has been intentional in giving back to programs and services that have historically supported underrepresented and marginalized populations like the NASPA Undergraduate Fellows Program (NUFP) and has formally mentored different students as they navigate predominantly white spaces within higher education.
Assistant Director of Intercultural Programs
Miriam Meza serves as the Assistant Director of Intercultural Programs. Her primary job responsibilities include the planning and delivering of culturally focused programs and events for the college community, serving as the advisor for Cultural Coalition as well as supporting and advocating for our underrepresented student populations on campus.
Originally from Chicago, Illinois, Miriam is a proud alumna of Lake Forest College where she earned her Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics and a Master of Science in Adult and Higher Education at Northern Illinois University.
In her free time, Miriam enjoys traveling, playing with the dog Gigi and spending time with family and friends.
Open Office Hours: Tuesday and Wednesday from 2:00PM-3:00PM; Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00AM-11:00AM