Library and Information Technology

Frequently Asked Questions

Computing FAQ

Need to get answers? Here’s a quick list of what you need to know. Don’t see it here? Call the Help Desk at x5544 from a campus phone, or call 847-735-5544.

Getting Connected

Q: How do I connect my personal computer on campus?
A: At the beginning of the year, LIT student workers in the dorms will be available to get students connected to the campus network, including attaching network cables and helping students download and install the free antivirus and anti-spyware programs. LIT provides Ethernet cables and network hubs that enable up to 4 computers to share each room’s network connection.

Q: How do I access my College e-mail account?
A: The address for student e-mail is Call the Help Desk at x5544 if you don’t have your user name and password. (Off-campus callers: call 847-735-5544.) All students are required to check their College e-mail accounts on a regular basis.

Q: How do I change my network/e-mail password?
A: Go to and follow the prompts.  Call the Help Desk if you have problems.
You will also be able to reset your password by calling the Help Desk as long as you have answered a couple of security questions.
Reach the Help Desk at x5544 from a campus phone or, from off-campus or from a cell phone, call 847-735-5544.

Q: What is My.Lakeforest?
A: The Lake Forest College portal,, allows you to check your course schedule, grades, payment information, and more.

Q: What is Moodle and what can I do with it?
A: Moodle ( is a course management system to help educators create effective online learning communities. Moodle allows instructors to post syllabi and assignments and to allow students to upload their work, engage in online class discussions, access their grades for the course, and more.

Using your Computer

Q: Where can I get help using a software program on my computer?
A: Student assistants in the Brown Technology Resource Center (TRC) in Room 233 in the library can answer questions about computer use.

Q: Where can I get help editing video/photos?
A: The TRC on the second floor of the Library is equipped with easy-to-use video software applications. Students, faculty, and staff can check out a digital video camcorder from Media Services in the Library, shoot footage, and quickly create short video presentations. Attached DVD and VHS decks allow use of excerpts from pre-recorded videos. Finished videos can be saved to DVD, uploaded to Panopto, or as mp4 files.

Labs & Storage Space

Q: What programs and equipment are available for student use on campus?
A: Donnelley and Lee Library computer lab workstations have Microsoft Office. The TRC has workstations installed with scanners, image editing software, document conversion software, and programs for making PDFs.

Q: Where should I save documents?
A: When you are working in the library computer labs, save your files to the “My Documents” folder. This folder is backed up each day and is a very reliable place to store your documents and files. Do not leave your documents on the Desktop—they will be deleted.

Q: How do I back up documents?
A: In addition to saving in the “My Documents” on the lab PCs, save a second copy of your files on a USB drive, available at the College bookstore.

Q: How do I log into my space on the server?
A: Log on to any computer at one of the library’s computer labs and click on the “My Documents” folder located on the desktop. The “My Documents” folder is your personal network storage space. 

Q: How do I access my recycle bin on the network?
A: Deleted files are permanently removed from student accounts. If you delete something, it’s gone.

Q: How do I restore deleted files?
A: Do not leave your documents on the Desktop—they will be deleted and cannot be recovered. Some documents may be restored—call the Help Desk at x5544. Off-campus, call 847-735-5544.

Q: How long are my files kept on the network?
A: Files remain in students’ storage areas as long as they are enrolled at the College.

Q: Why do I occasionally get disconnected from the College network?
A: Call the Help Desk at x5544 to troubleshoot your network connection. Off-campus, call 847-735-5544 and ask to be connected to the Help Desk.


Q: How much do I get for printing?
A: All students are allocated $15.00 for printing per semester, which is enough to print between 300 and 600 pages. The price per page for black and white printing is:

$0.05 per sheet (single- or double-sided)
$1.00 for 20 sheets (single- or double-sided)
20-page paper will cost: $0.50 double-sided; $1.00 single-sided
40-page paper will cost: $1.00 double-sided; $2.00 single-sided
60-page paper will cost: $1.50 double-sided; $3.00 single-sided

Color printing is available in the TRC (Room 233 in the library) and at Visual Communications.


Q: Where do I go to put more money on my printing balance?
A: The Business Office can add money to student printing accounts. A minimum of $5 is required. Money can also be added to student printing accounts in the Library.

More printing FAQ

Residence Halls

Q: Is there wireless access on campus and where?
A: All Residence Halls and the Mohr Student Center are equipped with wireless networking. The Donnelley and Lee Library offers a 24-hour computer lab and wireless access. Most of the campus has wireless access. Visitors who are not enrolled can select “Public-WiFi” to access the Internet.

Q: How do I access my network folder from my dorm computer?
A: See Connecting to Network Storage.

Q: Does the College provide streaming media (audio/video) services?
A: WMXM, the College’s student-run radio station, streams programming over the Internet. Talk with your instructor or group’s advisor if you need this for a special project.

Q: Can I buy software at a reduced (student) rate?
A: LIT offers McAfee antivirus software free of charge to all students, faculty, and staff. The College Bookstore offers academic discounts on popular software packages.


Q: Where do I go for help when my computer is broken?
A: Although LIT staff do not repair student hardware or troubleshoot problems with software on student-owned computers, we do help with network and some other issues. You can bring your computer to the Help Desk in Room 137 on the main level of Donnelley and Lee Library Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The campus shuttle goes to the CDW in Vernon Hills. There is an Apple Store in Northbrook.

Q: My network connection in my room is not working. Who do I call?
A: Call the Help Desk at x5544 from a campus phone. Off-campus or from a cell phone, call 847-735-5544.

Where to Find Help

Q: What is the number and what are the hours for the Help Desk?
A: The Help Desk’s number is x5544 from a campus phone. Off-campus or from a cell phone, call 847-735-5544. The Help Desk’s hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Q: When should I call the Help Desk?
A: Call if you’re having problems with the network or your computer. If we can’t help you, we’ll get you in contact with someone who will.

Q: What do I do if I get a computer virus?
A: Contact the Help Desk at x5544 from a campus phone. Off-campus or from a cell phone, call 847-735-5544 and ask to be connected to the Help Desk. If you are using our McAfee antivirus software, we will help you clean your computer. If you do not have up-to-date antivirus protection, we will refer you to a convenient commercial repair company. Infected computers will be removed from the network to prevent the machine from infecting other computers. Please also see the LIT Acceptable Use Policy.

Q: Where can I print out documents?
A: The primary public computer lab is located next to the Cyber Café on the main level of the library. This lab is open 24 hours a day. Most documents can be printed in the library computer labs.  Formats that are not supported in the labs, including Microsoft Works, generally can be printed in the TRC on the second floor.

Q: Where can I get help connecting to a library database or downloading a journal article?
A: For help with these and other research questions, go to the Donnelley and Lee Library Reference desk during the hours when a reference librarian is available, or call x5074 from a campus phone or 847-735-5074 from off campus or a cell phone, or Ask a Librarian at any time.

Q: Where can I find a flash drive?
A: All of the computers in the library’s labs are equipped with USB ports for flash drives. USB (or “flash”) drives are available in the College bookstore.

Q: Who do I contact if I need help with Moodle?
A: Check with your instructor for help with their Moodle pages.