Business Office

Student Payroll

We can assist students with any questions regarding hiring requirements, payroll, taxes, forms, timecards, rates of pay, and pay dates.  

Hire Forms

Students are required to complete Hire Forms for each academic year, and a separate Summer Hire Form for summer employment.  The hire forms serve as approval to hire an individual into a department.  The form should be signed by employee, and completed and signed by the supervisor.  These forms are to be submitted to the Payroll Department in the Business Office.  You can obtain forms, only from our internal site by clicking this link, and clicking in the Documents Section of the page.


Once hiring paperwork is completed, the student will be entered into the online timecard system, and the timecard will remain open during the pay period. New timecards will automatically be generated each pay period. Students should record their hours on the timecard and finalize the timecard by the due date.  Due date is usually midnight the Saturday before the pay date. 

Students will not be paid timely if they do not record hours in a timely manner. Other reasons for non-pay include:

  • your supervisor has not approved the timecard
  • hiring paperwork is incomplete
  • the timecard was not recorded timely

We will issue temporary timecards if your paperwork is in process. Please see the Payroll Dept in the Business Office.  Be sure PRINT your name, ID number and Department clearly on your timecard. 

Picking up Payroll Checks

Student payroll checks can be picked up in the Business Office on the pay date. Direct deposit documents (advices) are distributed to the students’ mailboxes the night before payday. If ever you want your paycheck or direct deposit advice mailed home, you can leave a self-addressed stamped envelope with the Payroll Department.                 

Pay schedules and distribution of checks

Students are paid biweekly, or every other Friday; this may change if a holiday falls in the pay week.  Paychecks and Direct Deposits are delivered to students’ campus mail box, unless you request to have this mailed to a home address.  If so, you must provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Business Office for mailing.

Direct Deposits

You may elect to have your earnings directly deposited into your U.S. checking or savings account, or enroll in our new Pay Card.  You will need to complete a Direct Deposit forms for both methods,  and submit it to the Payroll Department of the Business Office.  Direct Deposit Form  can be obtained internally by clicking the link. Direct deposit are effective on the following payroll if received, completed, by Monday before payday. For Pay Cards, you will need to complete a Pay Card Application and the Business Office will provide the pay card to you.  Your funds will be automatically deposited into your pay card account on each payroll date.  

If you are on direct deposit or Pay Card, you will receive a copy of your pay stub in your campus mailbox by the morning of payday.

Cashing payroll checks

Students may cash checks for $100 and under at the cashier’s desk in the business office. The hours for cash transactions is from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.

Students may also cash checks at Northern Trust Bank by showing their student id.  Please note, students need not have an account with Northern Trust Bank in order to cash checks drawn from the college.

Pay scale

On-campus employment wages range from $7.25/hr to $10/hour.  Jobs are classified as Level 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending upon the amount of skill or responsibility required.  The majority of positions are classified as Level 1.  Departments are granted the level 2, 3 and 4 positions based on application and committee approval only.

Students returning to work in the same department are eligible for merit increases, depending upon supervisor recommendation.  Merit increases are applied within the classification levels and do not indicate a promotion to a higher classification without substantial change in responsibilities. A performance evaluation must be completed and submitted by the supervisor in order for a student to qualify for a merit increase.

Hours Limit

Students who are given a work study allocation on their financial aid award letters are given preference for placement in jobs, but other students may work as positions are available.  All students are held to a total earnings limit of 400 hours for the academic year.  This estimates to about 12 hrs per week for 30 weeks in the academic year.  Students who approach the 400 hour limit too quickly may be notified by Payroll and/or counseled by their supervisor regarding reducing hours. Students who pass the 400 hour mark may receive notice of termination and be required to file an appeal with the Business Office.  The Business Office or other Lake Forest College personnel reserve the right to terminate employment if total dollars earned exceed the work study allocation.

Please note:  No student is allowed to work more than 12 hours per week.  In addition, as mandated by federal law, International Students are not allowed to be paid for more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.

Students, including international students, are not guaranteed any particular number of hours of work.  Hours are dependent upon the needs of the employing departments.  If a department cannot provide enough hours to satisfy the federal work study award, the Business Office will assist in locating additional employment in a different department. 

Students who work during the summer should not work more than 35 hours per week and no more than 12 weeks.

Tax Issues

Social Security Tax (commonly known as FICA tax):  While a student is “enrolled and regularly attending classes” at least half time, he or she is not required to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.  The IRS has provided guidelines to colleges which allow us to exempt students during any month that they are attending class, which means August through May.  During June and July, all U.S. students will have FICA withholdings.  

Many international students are exempt from FICA withholding depending upon their visa type and status.

Off Campus Jobs

Students should carefully consider whether an off-campus job is a good choice. On campus employment is exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes during the academic year as long as the student is enrolled at least half time.  These taxes are worth $.0765 per dollar, or $.65 per hour additional for a pay rate of $8.25.  Additionally, any work earned on campus under the Federal Work Study program is exempt from total earnings on the FAFSA, possibly increasing your eligibility for grants and loans.  On-campus jobs also usually have more flexible hours and supervisors are more understanding of academic commitments, such as midterms.