News and Events
Lake Forest College In the News
- December 2 Associate Professor of Anthropology Holly Swyers was interviewed by Maine Public Radio for a piece about teaching adult skills, or “adulting.” Professor Swyers was tapped for her knowledge on adulthood, which she is currently channeling into a book on the subject.
- November 28 New Internationalist cites Professor of Economics Rob Baade as an expert in a recent article on the economics of the Olympic Games.
- November 17 An opinion piece on the results of the U.S. election by Gorter Professor of Islamic World Studies and Professor of Sociology Ahmad Sadri appears on The Guardian U.S. edition, which covers American and international news for an online, global audience.
- November 11 Professor of Economics Robert Baade was tapped as an expert in an article about the World Series’ effect on Chicago’s economy.
- November 7 Shubhik DebBurman, professor of biology and chair of neuroscience, talked about the importance of a liberal arts education, among other subjects, in the November 5 “Sunday Breakfast” in North Shore Weekend.
- November 7 Cubs win, Cubs win—and Associate Professor of Anthropology Holly Swyers, who wrote Wrigley Regulars: Finding Community In The Bleachers, is quoted in a story on Time.com.
- November 1 A paper by A.B. Dick Professor of Economics Robert Baade and two colleagues comparing the Cubs’ Wrigley Field and the White Sox stadium was quoted in Curbed.com.
- October 31 Associate Professor of Anthropology Holly Swyers had a piece “How Waiting 108 Years Makes the Good Life” published in Sightings, The University of Chicago Magazine.
- October 31 The Lake County Journal featured Lake Forest College’s West African Drumming Ensemble in an article promoting the Benkadi benefit, an evening of drumming and dance performances that will be held on Saturday, Nov. 12. Admission is free, but all donations go to help the Guinean people.
- October 25 The Chicago Tribune interviewed two Lake Forest students for an article on a women’s self-defense course offered at the Lake Forest Police Department.
- October 25 The Chicago Tribune turned to Robert Baade, A.B. Dick Professor of Economics and expert in sports-related development, to comment on the “refinement” of Wrigleyville, the neighborhood surrounding the Chicago Cubs’ ballpark.
- October 25
- October 12 Assistant Professor Rebecca Graff has been in the news recently about a potentially exciting archaeological discovery underneath the Haymarket Martyrs Monument at Forest Home Cemetery in Forest Park, Illinois.
- October 10 Professor Jeff Sundberg was quoted in the Chicago Tribune in a preview story on Lake County Hawkfest, part of which will take place on campus 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 15 in Calvin Durand Hall.
- October 5 A.B. Dick Professor of Economics Rob Baade was quoted in USA Today in the story, “Tokyo Games could cost $30 billion, putting future of Olympics at risk.”