- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
Joaquin Basile Patron ’17
Why did you choose your area of study?
I’ve always wanted to be a performer, therefore, I knew that I wanted to take theater courses. However, once that I began taking communication classes, to fulfill the requirements for my GEC’s, I became deeply interested in how the way we communicate affects everything. It is a fascinating major because it combines rhetoric (the art of persuasive speaking) and media studies. It is a truly versatile major because there are countless professions that you can do is you major in communication, and I love that.
What do you think of the faculty?
I love the faculty at Lake Forest College! What I like the most about our professors is that all of them seem to know you. It’s nice to have such a close relationship with the faculty because, in most cases, they become your mentors and give you all what you need to make learning an enjoyable experience.
What’s your favorite class?
So far, I am lucky to say that I’ve enjoyed all the classes that I have taken at Lake Forest College. However, if I would have to pick one I would choose THTR 226: Improvisation Techniques taught by professor David Knoell. This class did not only teach me how to become a better performer, Improvisation Techniques strengthened my self confidence and social skills, allowing me to laugh from my mistakes and move on. Professor Knoell offered the class skills that will be helpful in life. That is why I loved this class.
What co-curricular activities do you participate in?
I have always been fully involved in “Garrick Players,” Illinois’ oldest student-run theater squad, PRIDE, and I volunteer at the Gorton Community Center doing theater with children.
What’s your favorite campus spot?
My favorite part of campus is the Student Center. There is nothing better than sharing an ice cream with a friend, playing pool, or just chatting on one of the couches after class.